'Stir Fry' or 'Vepudu' is a part of typical Andhra meal and we prepare various stir fries on a daily basis to pair with steamed rice. One can prepare either the deep fried stir fries, which are definitely tastier and also the shallow fried simple stir fries. Vegetables like Potatoes, Ladies finger(Okra), Arbi(Taro root), Brinjal, Raw Banana and Yam taste really delicious in the form of stir fries, you can either deep fry them or shallow fry them based on your requirements and season it with Garlic chili powder, it tastes yumm!! I would say a simple Stir fry and Rasam with hot rice and few fryums is a comforting meal for me .
'Raw Banana' also known as 'Raw Plantain' or 'Aratikaya' in Telugu and 'Balekai' in Kannada. Let us check out the simple yet delicious stir fry using raw bananas.
Check out few more interesting preparations with Raw Banana here.
- Kadhi with Raw Banana
- Avial - Kerala style
- Aratikaya Aava Pettina Kura
- Raw Banana Pepper Fry
- Aratikaya Pacchi Pulusu (Tangy Stew with Raw Banana)
Aratikaya Vepudu | Balekai Palya | Raw Banana(Plantain) Fry:
Prep time:15 mins | Cooking time:15 mins | Total time:30 mins
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Stir fry - Side dish
2 Raw Plantains(Raw Bananas)
1 Onion,finely chopped
2-3 Garlic pods,crushed
1 tbsp Garlic Chili Powder
8-10 Curry leaves
1 tsp Urad dal
1 tsp Chana dal
1 tbsp Oil
- Steam the raw plantains for 10 mins or pressure cook for 2 whistles.Cool it and peel the skin and cut it into small pieces.
- Heat oil and crackle mustard seeds and add chana dal and urad dal and fry for few mins.
- Add curry leaves, chopped onions and crushed garlic and fry until the onions turn pink.
- Add chopped raw banana pieces and fry for 8-10 mins until they become slightly crisp.
- Now add Garlic chili powder and mix nicely and fry for 2 mins.As the garlic chili powder already has salt we don't need to add extra salt,check the taste and add salt if required.Add more garlic chili powder if you want it more spicy.
Serve it hot with hot steamed rice,ghee and fryums or as a side dish with sambar rice or rasam rice.
- You can also pound 3-4 green chillies with 5-6 garlic pods and 1/4 cup grated fresh coconut and add it at the end for a variation.
- If you do not have Garlic chili powder,increase the amount of garlic pods to 4-5 and also add 3/4 tsp red chili powder and salt at the end.
- You can follow the same process for vegetables like potatoes,Taro root(Arbi) and Yam(kandagadda). It tastes delicious.