Today, I am posting a Sambar powder recipe which is typical Andhra style, the way my MIL prepares.However, do note that there would be a slight variation in the ingredients across homes.
(shelf life: upto 1-2 months)
1 cup Coriander seeds
15-20 Red chillies
1/3 cup Chana dal
1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
2 tbsp Cumin seeds
- In a kadai dry roast coriander seeds until they turn brown and fragrant and keep them aside.
- Dry roast chana dal in the same kadai over low to medium flame until they turn red in color and keep it aside.
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds separately until they turn brown and keep them aside.
- Once all the ingredients cool down grind them to a fine powder.
- Store it in airtight container.You can store it for 1-2 months.
You can use it in making various sambars like Radish sambar, Red Pumpkin sambar, Drumstick sambar or any other sambar variety.This sambar powder is perfect for Tiffin sambar.
- Store it in airtight container and use a clean spoon.
- Always make this powder in a small quantity as it looses its freshness after long.
- You can add a tsp of peppercorns in the recipe if you wish. Do roast them and grind with the rest of the spices.