I have been posting many pickle recipes these days and you would see many more pickle recipes in my blog.I have recently posted Mango Ginger Chutney(Maa Inji Chutney) which can be served with Idli,Dosa and also can be stored for long time.Mango ginger is neither a variety of mango nor ginger,it is a kind of turmeric and hence it is even called as 'Ambe Haldi' but it has strong flavor of ginger and taste of mango and probably that is the reason it is called 'Mango Ginger'.It looks like Ginger roots but when you try to peel the skin it has slight yellowish flesh unlike ginger.I had bought a large quantity of Mango ginger and I have turned half the portion to this simple Mango Ginger pickle and the other half to that delicious tongue tickling Mango Ginger Chutney.
Today's post is an easy Instant pickle recipe which hardly takes any time to prepare but is packed with lot of flavors.If you get hold of mango ginger,do give this pickle recipe a try.It tastes very delicious with Curd rice.
Mango Ginger Pickle Recipe:
shelf life:8-10 days if refrigerated
200 gms Mango Ginger/Maa Inji/Mamidi allam
8-10 light colored Green Chillies
1/8 tsp Turmeric powder(optional)
Salt to taste
2 tsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
a sprig of Curry leaves(optional)
a pinch of Asafoetida
- Wash and peel the skin of mango ginger and wipe it with a dry cloth.Thinly slice them or cut them into fine pieces,do not slice them thick as they do not get marinated quickly.I like the look of thin slices and hence I cut them into slices.
- Slit and cut green chillies length wise into 1/2" pieces if you are cutting the mango ginger into slices.If you cut the mango ginger into fine pieces,you even cut the green chillies into fine pieces.You should cut both of them uniformly so that they marinate well at the same time.
- Take juice of lemons and add enough salt to it and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and chopped ginger and green chilli pieces and mix nicely.
- Heat oil in a small pan and crackle mustard seeds and add curry leaves and asafoetida and fry and switch off the flame.
- Add the tempering to the pickle and give a stir and let it marinate for a day.You can either keep it outside or in the refrigerator for marination.Mix it in between so that it marinates well.
- Once it is marinated you can keep it refrigerated for 8-10 days.
Serve it with Curd rice or even with sambar rice/parathas.
- My mom adds the tempering to this pickle while my MIL does not.It is your wish to add the tempering to it,but I like the addition of tempering which adds extra flavor to the pickle.
- The addition of turmeric powder is optional,I like to add it as it gives a nice color to the pickle.
- I used light green colored green chillies as they are less spicy and tastes nice when marinated.It is your wish to use the spicy green chillies or less spicy green chillies.So adjust the quantity accordingly as well.