Rawa Idli just that the sago is mixed with rice rawa and soaked in sour curd overnight and prepare in the same process as Rawa Idli.
Check out other Idli varieties in my blog:
- Kanchipuram(Kanchi) Idli | Spicy Idli
- Khara Idli / Onion Masala Idli
- Instant Oats Idli
- Khotto | Kottige - Mangalorean style Jackfruit leaves Idlis
- Rava Idli and Potato Sagu
- Stuffed Idli | Potato stuffed Idli Sandwich
- Vegetable Idli
- Idli Recipe Using Idli Rice
- Idli Recipe Using Idli Rava
Here is how to prepare sago idli recipe with step by step photos:
Sago Idli | Saggubiyyam Idli Recipe:
Serves 3-4 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Total time: 30 mins +soaking time
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Breakfast
1 cup Nylon Sago(or small sago variety)
1 cup Rice Rava*
1.5 cups sour Curd
1- 1.5 cups Water
1/3 cup grated fresh Coconut
1 small onion, finely chopped(optional)
2-3 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
2-3 Green Chilies,finely chopped
5-7 Curry leaves, finely chopped
1/4 tsp Cooking soda
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1.5 tbsp Oil
Salt, to taste
- Check for stones and dirt in the nylon sago and rice rava. Dry roast the nylon sago slightly until it is warm and then add rice rava and dry roast for another couple of minute until the mixture is warm. Do not roast it for long to change color, just roast until it is warm.
- Mix curd and water with a whisk and then soak sago-rice rava mixture in it over night or for 4-5 hours.
- Sago-rava mixture would have swollen up and the batter would have become very dry. Add 1/3-1/2 cup of water until you get the idli batter consistency.
- Heat 1.5 tbsp of oil in a small kadai and crackle mustard seeds and then add chopped green chilies and curry leaves and fry until they wilt.
- Add grated coconut, salt, chopped onion and coriander leaves and the tempering along with the oil and mix it nicely.
- Grease the Idli plates and keep the steamer(or cooker) ready for steaming. Fill the steamer(or cooker) with 1-1.5 inch depth of water and switch on the flame and keep it ready.
- Now add the cooking soda to the prepared batter and mix it nicely and pour the batter in the prepared idli plates.Do not bother if you see few drops of liquid(water) falling from the holes of idli plates, it would be alright after it is cooked.
- Steam the idlis for 15 mins or until the tooth pick comes out clean.
- Remove the Idlis with a Idli spoon and put them in hot box.
- To prepare Rice rawa*: Clean and Soak the rice for some time and drain it completely and spread over a cloth so that it will drain off excess water.Coarsely grind the pound mixture in a mixer and then sieve it(do it in whipper mode).Use the rawa which is in sieve and the flour that it is sieved can be used for dosa's or regular rice flour.
- You can increase the Rice rava quantity upto 2-2.5 cups if you are making it for a large crowd.
- Instead of green chili you can add torn dry red chili in tempering.I add green chili for a green look of the Idlis.
- The addition of onion is optional but gives a nice crunch, you can avoid it totally.
- You can add vegetables like grated carrots and frozen peas to the batter before steaming.
- Make sure you use sour curd for the recipe and also let the mixture sit overnight ,else the idlis will taste bland.
- You can even add broken cashewnuts in the tempering ,it adds nice taste to the Idlis.
- Nylon sago works best for the recipe,in case if you do not have use the smaller variety of sago and increase the rice rava quantity to 1.5 cups.
- If you do not have Rice rava you can use Idli Rava but Rice rava is good for the recipe.Otherwise you can use even the regular sooji for the recipe.