Before going to the recipe, if you are interested check out other Idli varieties in my blog:
- Kanchipuram(Kanchi) Idli | Spicy Idli
- Khara Idli / Onion Masala Idli
- Instant Oats Idli
- Mallige Idli
- Rava Idli and Potato Sagu
- Stuffed Idli | Potato stuffed Idli Sandwich
- Tri Color Cocktail Idlis
- Undrallu | Rice Rava Dumplings- for Vinayaka Chavithi
- Vegetable Idli
Khotto | Kottige Recipe:
makes: 6 khottos
Prep time:45 mins | Cooking time:15 mins | Total time:1 hr +
Cuisine: Konkan/Karnataka | Category: Breakfast
for the batter:
3 cups Idli Rice or Par boiled Rice(or 2.5 cups Idli Rava)
1 cup whole Urad dal
Salt to taste
for the baskets:
24 (or more) same sized Jackfruit leaves
unused broomstick or dried curry leaves stick or toothpicks - as required
to prepare batter:
- Soak rice and urad dal separately for 3-4 hrs.If you are using Idli rava soak it for just 1 hr before grinding.
- Wash the urad dal and grind to a fine batter in the wet grinder/mixie and remove it and keep it aside.
- Now grind the idli rice to a slight coarse batter,the consistency of batter should be like slight rawa textured batter.If you are using idli rawa,squeeze the idli rava and add it to the ground urad dal and grind for 5 minutes.Keep the batter thick and do not add much water while grinding.
- Add this to ground urad dal batter and mix well and add enough salt and let it ferment for 12-14 hrs.
to prepare baskets:
- Take four equal sized jackfruit leaves and place two leaves with the corners(not the stem side) slightly overlapping on each other and join them with a piece of small stick.Now place the thrid and fourth leaf and again join them at the edges with the help of the sticks.The picture will give you a better idea.
- Now fold the corners(stem side corners) such that the side edges of the leaves overlap on each other and leaves no gap in between, pin the overlapped portion carefully so that there would not be any leakage of the batter while steaming.Repeat for all the edges and pin together to form a basket.See the pictures for better idea.
- Repeat and prepare all baskets.
to prepare Khotto:
- Pour batter until it covers 3/4th of the basket and place the baskets carefully in the steamer or cooker(without whistle) and steam the khottos for 15-20 mins. While steaming do not try to overcrowd the steamer with baskets but make sure that there is not much gap in between them.
- While opening tear the leaves carefully so that the khotto can slip out of the basket without getting stuck to the leaves and loose its shape.
- You can use your idli batter to prepare these khottos.
- If you do not find jackfruit leaves you can try with banana leaves, but that gives a different aroma and can not be substituted with jackfruit leaves.It is just for a change.
- Do not overcrowd the steamer with the baskets while steaming but make sure there is not much of gap in between the baskets.