gut flora and it is usually taken during winters in the North to keep the body warm.It can be served as an appetizer or along with your meals.
Check out Kaali Gajar ki Kanji Recipe with step by step photos here:
Kaali Gajar ki Kanji | Carrot Kanji Recipe:
shelf life: 3-4 weeks | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 10 mins | Fermentation time: 3-4 days | Total time: 3 days
Cuisine: North Indian | Category: Beverages
4-5 large Black/Purple Carrots( or 4 large Carrot and 1 medium Beetroot)
2 liters Water
1-1.5 tsp Red chili powder
2.5-3 tbsp Mustard powder
2 tsp Black salt
- Sterilize the glass/ceramic jars and let them dry and keep them ready.
- Dry grind the mustard seeds(roughly 2.5 tbsp) and keep the powder ready.
- Wash and wipe the purple carrots(or beetroots and regular carrots) and peel them and cut into 1 inch long thin batons as shown in the picture.
- Divide the cut carrots(and beetroot pieces if using regular carrots) into the jars according to the size of the jar used by you.
- Add red chili powder, mustard powder, black salt and required amount of regular salt to the jars and pour water to the rim and mix it nicely.Taste the liquid and add more salt or red chili powder if needed.
- Cover it with the lid or muslin cloth and keep it in a place where it gets nice sun light.
- You need to keep it in sun for 3-4 days by mixing the liquid daily using a clean and dry long wooden spoon/spatula.
- Once the drink starts tasting sour(it usually may start on 3 rd day) which indicates that the kanji is ready to be served.If it is not sour continue to keep for a day or more.The fermentation process differ from place to place based on the climatic conditions of the place.
- Refrigerate it and serve it either chilled or at room temperature.Strain the carrot pieces and the kanji can be stored until a month in the refrigerator.
You can strain the carrot pieces from the liquid and serve it as a salad or pickle with your regular meal, it tastes quite nice!
- I have used purple/black carrots in the recipe.One can easily make it with the regular carrots and beetroot added for the color.
- You can even add turnip pieces in the drink.
- Adjust the amount of red chili powder and black salt according to your taste buds.Some like it spicy and some like it sour,so add accordingly.
- You can dip urad dal vadas in the kanji to make flavorful kanji vadas. The vadas absorb the flavors of kanji and turn sour and tastes absolutely delicious, which is a delicacy from the North and Rajasthan.
- You can store it in refrigerator for upto a month.Strain the carrot pieces and serve it as a salad or pickle along with your meals.
- You can jazz up the raithas and dips with the finely chopped fermented bits of these carrots, it takes them to the new level.Also you can use it as a pickled vegetable along with lettuce,pickled cucumbers in the wraps.