Drumstick leaves Adai.You can even add the leaves to the dosa batter and prepare dosas which is very healthy and nutricious too. Try to include these iron rich greens in your diet often, it is worth the effort of cleaning those greens because of the goodness that these greens provide us.I am posting a version of Drumstick leaves Curry recipe which has small portion of toor dal and coconut but will post another simple version of Drumstick leaves stir fry later.
Serves 2-3 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Total time: 50 mins
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Side dish - Curry for Rice
2 cups Drumstick leaves,removed from stems
2 tbsp cooked Toor dal(pigeon peas)
1 small Onion, finely chopped
2 tsp thin Tamarind extract
1 tsp Red chili powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt, to taste
1.5 tbsp Oil
2 tbsp grated fresh/frozen Coconut
2 garlic cloves
2-3 peeled Shallots,optional
- Carefully remove the leaves from the stems,try to remove the smaller stems as much as possible. Wash the leaves and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook Toor dal until done, do not pressure cook for long that it will become mushy.I usually take from the dal I cook for sambar/dal on that day. Drain it and keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut with garlicand shallots(if using) to a coarse powder and keep it ready.
- In a kadai heat oil and add finely chopped onions and fry until they turn pink.
- Add squeezed drumstick leaves,salt and turmeric powder and fry nicely until the leaves shrink and get cooked.
- Add tamarind extract,cooked toor dal,ground coconut, red chili powder and mix gently and fry until the curry becomes slightly dry and the moisture is well absorbed.
Serve it hot with Rice/Chapati.
- Try to remove the smaller stems as much as possible as they those stems might irritate you while eating and also is not good for your digestive system.
- You can avoid toor dal and still make the same, it tastes nice too.
- You can replace toor dal with moong dal in the recipe. In that case you just need to soak moong dal for half an hour.