Usal and Misal are popular gravies which are usually served with Pav or Bhakri.While Usal is a thick gravy made up of sprouts, Misal is a thinner version of usal with the addition of farsaan(namkeen) on top and is served with pav,this combination is popularly known as Misal Pav. I usually prepare it as misal and serve it with pav but sometimes I serve usal with bhakris along with a dry sabzi. You can use various kind of sprouts like moong sprouts, yellow peas, mixed sprouts of moong,matki,kala chana and peas to prepare usal. I end up preparing either Matki Usal or Yellow peas usal most of the times.Usal is usually made spicy and slightly oily.There are various variations to the usal like Kolhapuri usal where kolhapuri masala is used which is a very spicy version and tastes slightly different from the regular version.
Check out other Maharasthrian recipes in my blog.
Matki Chi Usal | Moth Beans Curry Recipe:
Prep time:10 mins | Cooking time:10 mins | Total time:20 mins
Cuisine: Maharasthra-India | Category: Side dish
1 1/2 cups Matki(Moth beans) Sprouts,steamed
1 large Potato,boiled and cubed
1 Onion,finely chopped
2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
5-6 Curry leaves
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
a pinch of Asafoetida
Salt to taste
1.5 tbsp Oil
- To sprout Matki - Wash and soak matki(moth beans) for 6-7 hrs in water and wash it once with fresh water and drain the excess water and tie in a muslin cloth or use a sprout maker to make sprouts.It will take 12-15 hrs.
- Steam the matki sprouts in cooker with a pinch of salt for 8-10 mins.
- Boil the potato and remove the skin and cut into cubes.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan and crackle mustard seeds and add asafoetida and curry leaves and fry for half a minute.
- Add chopped onions and fry until they turn translucent.Add ginger garlic paste and tomato and fry until the raw smell goes away.
- Add steamed moth beans and boiled and cubed potatoes and fry for 2 mins.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, goda(or kala) masala and salt and fry it for another couple of mins.
- Add 1/4 cup water and cover it and cook for 7-8 mins.The Usal would be thick but if you want it like a gravy add some more water and boil it.
Serve it hot with Roti/Bhakri/Pav.
- Usal can also be prepared with mixed sprouts or moong sprouts or sprouted Yellow peas.You need to cook them according to their cooking time.
- Usal is usually a thick gravy but if you want it you can slightly thin it down with the addition of water and boil it again,while serving add finely chopped onions and farsaan(namkeen) on top of it which is known as misal.
- I usually do not add tomato to usal but as I was preparing a thinner version I added a tomato,but the addition of tomato is optional.
- The addition of Goda masala or Kala Masala adds a unique flavor to the recipe.But if you do not have it in hand you can use garam masala instead.