1/4 kg onions,finely sliced
200 gms red chillies(spicy variety)
50 gms byadige red chillies(for color)
50 gms garlic pods,neatly separated and skin slightly removed
150 gms grated dry coconut
(75 gms of whole maharastrian garam masala which includes the following ingredients)
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp til/sesame seeds
1 tsp khus khus
4" cinnamom stick
12-15 tej patta
4-5 dagad phool/black stone flower
8-10 moti elaichi(black cardamom)
5-6 star anise
1/2 tsp soamph
1/2 tsp shahjeera
2 turmeric sticks or 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
Oil to deep fry onions
- Thinly slice the onions and deep fry in oil until golden brown and crisp.Leave them aside to cool.
- Dry roast grated coconut until deep dark brown in color and keep it aside.
- Dry roast red chillies(both the varieties) until they are crisp and dark brown in color.
- Dry roast the ingredients of maharastrian garam masala mix until dark brown in color.Do this process on a medium flame and do for each ingredient separately as the frying time of each and every ingredient differs.Slightly warm the nutmeg powder and turmeric powder if using instead of turmeric sticks.
- After all the masalas are cooled down grind the roasted garam masala first and then add fried red chillies and grind to a powder.Now add roasted grated dry coconut,garlic pods and deep fried onions and grind to a slightly coarse powder.
I am sending this to PJ's 'Flavors of Maharastra' event which is started by Naina.
I am sending these following entries to pari's 'ONLY-cooking with Bread' event.