As promised in my Mango Pickle Post last week,I am posting the Mango Thokku recipe which is my favorite pickle from childhood.We call it as 'Noone Uragaya' at our place.This Mango Thokku(pickle) is a nice combo of flavors and tastes best when well balanced with the right amount of seasonings.My mom used to make a big bottle of this mango thokku as it goes well with Paniyaram, Akki roti, Ragi Rotti , Chakli, Murukku ,Thengolu and any roti,chakli and few breakfast varieties.
Check out various Mango pickle posts here:
- Avakaya/Andhra special Mango pickle
- Allam Avakay | Avakay with Ginger-Garlic paste
- Nuvvu Avakay (Mango pickle with Sesame powder)
- North Indian style Aam ka Achar
- Maagaya/Sun dried Mango Pickle
- Bellam Avakaya(Jaggery Mango Pickle)
- Mukkala Pacchadi(Tiny mango pieces pickle)
- Pesara Avakaya(Mango pickle with Moong dal Powder)
- Palli Avakaya(Mango Pickle with Groundnut Powder)
- No oil Mango pickle(Water Mango pickle)
| Sweet and Spicy Mango Thokku Recipe: |
Shelf life: 1 year
Prep time:15 mins | Cooking time:1.5 hrs | Total time: 2 hrs
Cuisine: Indian Category: Pickles
2 large Raw Sour Mangoes(weighs 1 kilo)
150 gms (1 cup approx) Jaggery,grated
1/3 cup Red chili powder
1 tbsp + 2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tbsp Fenugreek seeds
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1/4 cup Salt,approx
1 cup Sesame Oil
- Because of the addition of jaggery this pickle turns to dark brown in color.
- Always transfer a small portion of pickle into a small jar and use a clean and dry spoon.
- The most important part of the recipe is to balance the salt,spicy ness,and sweetness with the sourness of mangoes which makes a tasty pickle.Hence I suggest you to taste it once or twice after you add all the ingredients to the pickle and balance the pickle accordingly.
- This pickle would be sweet and spicy at the same time and goes well with Thengolu/ Chakli/ Murukku/ Thalipeeth/ Akki roti/ Ragi Rotti.