I have posted several Mango Pickle recipes in my blog and I still have many more versions to share. Most of my Andhra Mango pickles were tried by my readers and they even gave good feedback. Today I am sharing a simple and easy Mango pickle recipe which is prepared at my mom's place. During our childhood, we used to call this pickle as 'Yellow pickle' and it was a favorite among kids because of its fascinating yellow color.This pickle recipe is quite unusual as we use green chilli paste in the pickle instead of red chilli powder. It also requires very less oil.It is not the usual instant Mango pickle as this pickle can be stored upto an year when refrigerated and 3-4 months under normal conditions.Though we use less oil in this pickle the process of marinating the mango pieces in salt and then the tempering increases the shelf life.
Though the preparation process of this pickle is simple I never tried it myself.When my mom visited us few weeks back I had asked her to prepare this pickle and also mango thokku which were my child hood favorites,would post mango thokku soon.This yellow mango pickle had become an instant favorite to TH who is tasting it for the first time.The quantity which was supposed to last for 2-3 months has almost got over just in a span of one month.If you are looking for an easy less oil Mango pickle,this recipe is for you.
Easy Mango Pickle Recipe - Karnataka style:
shelf life:2-3 months outside,upto one year when refrigerated
5 cups chopped Raw mangoes
3/4 cup Salt
1/4 cup Green chili paste(approx 25-30 Green chillies)
1 tbsp roasted Mustard- Fenugreek powder
1 tbsp roasted Mustard- Fenugreek powder
1 tbsp Turmeric powder
2 tbsp Sesame Oil
2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
cleaning the mangoes:
- Wash and wipe the mangoes with a dry cloth.You really need to have sharp thick knife to cut into 1" thick mango pieces.You don't need to keep the inner shell in tact.
- Spread them over a dry cloth while you are preparing the spices for the pickle.
for making pickle:
- Keep ready the sterilized and sun dried jars ready before you start pickling.
- Roast 1 tbsp of mustard seeds and 1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds until you get the aroma and let them cool a bit and grind to a fine powder.Use 1 tbsp of powder for this recipe,store the remaining powder in a ziplock bag,I would share another recipe soon in which you can use it.
- In a big bowl mix the cut mango pieces with salt,turmeric powder and roasted mustard-fenugreek powder and stuff the jars with this and cover it.
- You will see the water which oozes from the salted mangoes on the first day itself. Let them marinate for 3 days.
- On the 3rd day taste it and check for salt,the mango pieces would be slightly salty.If you feel that the salt is less you can add little more salt.
- Wash and wipe green chillies and dry them for some time and grind them to a coarse paste.
- Add ground green chili paste to it and mix well.
- In a small pan heat sesame oil and crackle mustard seeds and asafoetida and let the oil come to room temperature.
- Add this to the pickle and mix well.
- You can start using the pickle in a day or two.It tastes best after one week as the salt levels get adjusted.
- This pickle can be kept outside for 2-3 months.But I prefer to refrigerate it and it stays good upto one year.
Serve it with Curd rice.
- Use pickle variety mangoes which are sour and also cut them in to the pieces,you do not need to keep the inner shell in tact.
- Use Spicy fresh green chillies for the recipe.
- Always transfer a small portion of pickle into a small jar and use a clean and dry spoon.
- This pickle stays good for an year when refrigerated and for 2-3 months under normal conditions
- You can easily double or triple the recipe,the basic rule is to use 5 cups of mango pieces with 3/4 cup salt.
- Avakaya/Andhra special Mango pickle
- Allam Avakay | Avakay with Ginger-Garlic paste
- North Indian style Aam ka Achar
- Maagaya/Sun dried Mango Pickle
- Bellam Avakaya(Jaggery Mango Pickle)
- Mukkala Pacchadi(Tiny mango pieces pickle)
- Pesara Avakaya(Mango pickle with Moong dal Powder)
- Palli Avakaya(Mango Pickle with Groundnut Powder)
- Nuvvu Avakay (Mango pickle with Sesame powder)
- No oil Mango pickle(Water Mango pickle)