Stir fry or pair it with moong dal(Amaranth-moong dal stir fry) or in a dal or curry with the amaranth leaves.Today I am posting a very simple and healthy stir fry using Red Amaranth leaves but completely packed with garlic flavor and I just love to eat it with Rice or Bhakris.
Lal Bhaji Saag | Red Amaranth leaves Stir fry:
1 big bunch Red Amaranth leaves/Lal Bhaji/Lal Math
1 big Onion,roughly chopped
4-5 Green chillies,finely chopped
5-6 Garlic pods
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Clean the amaranth leaves and wash them properly and soak it in salted water for 8-10 mins.Chop the leaves finely along with tender stalks.
- Crush the garlic pods slightly and add this garlic pods to the chopped amaranth leaves and mix it well for 1-2 mins by pressing the garlic pods with your fingers/palm to infuse the flavor of garlic in the greens.This process adds a nice flavor to the stir fry,so do not miss doing this process.
Heat oil in a kadai and add chopped onions and green chillies and fry for few mins until onions turn pink.
- Now add the amaranth leaves mixed with garlic and fry for 10-12 mins until the amaranth is cooked.Take care that you would not over cook the greens,they taste best when they are cooked right.
Serve it hot with Roti/Rice/Jowar Bhakri/Bajra Bhakri.
- You can use green amaranth leaves and follow the same process.
- I usually do not add any seasonings in the oil as I like the garlic flavor to dominate in the recipe.You can reduce the garlic if you are not a big fan of it.
- I like to keep this recipe simple as it tastes best as it is and I love to eat this with Jowar or Bajra Bhakris.
- Use only tender stems of the greens for this recipe.Chop them roughly.