My mom makes either sundal or sambar using all the mixed beans on a regular basis.I like all varieties of sundal but mixed variety sundal is tastier when compared to a simple sundal.Even the water which is strained from sundal can be converted to delicious rasam with the addition of a ground coconut masala.This is rich protein packed and you can use any kind of beans in this to mask them if your family do not take it otherwise.Try this sundal for prashad on one of those days of Navratri.
Mixed Bean Sundal Recipe:
1/3 cup Kala Channa/Black Chickpeas
1/3 cup Lobia/Black eyed Peas
a handful of Groundnuts
a handful of Horse gram
1/4 cup grated fresh Coconut
4-5 Green chillies,sliced
1 tsp chopped Coriander,to garnish
juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
a sprig of Curry leaves
a pinch of Asafoetida
1 tbsp Oil
- Soak all the beans(black chickpeas,black eyed beans,ground nuts,horse gram) overnight or at least for 8-9 hrs and pressure cook for 3 whistles until soft.The beans should be soft and firm to touch and should not be either hard or mushy. You can add salt while cooking them or add it at the time of tempering.
- Drain the beans and keep it aside,you can use this drained water to make healthy rasam.
- Grind grated coconut and green chillies to a coarse paste in whipper mode.
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds and add chana dal and urad dal and let them turn slight brown.
- Add asafoetida,curry leaves and ground coconut-green chilli paste and fry it for a minute.
- Add cooked and drained beans and required amount of salt and mix well and cook it on low flame for 2 mins.Make sure they stay moist and not let them dry out by over frying it.
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix well.
Serve them hot,warm or cold as a snack or with lunch.
- You can even add a small piece of ginger while grinding coconut and green chillies,it adds nice flavor.
- You can add red chillies while tempering and reduce the green chillies in the recipe.