Navarathri recipes here for various sundal, kheer, snack and rice varieties.
1/3 cup yellow lentils/Moong dal
1 medium Carrot,grated
1/4 cup grated Coconut
2 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
3/4 tsp ground green Chili paste(2 green chilles)
juice of 1/2 Lemon
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
a pinch of Asafoetida
5-6 Curry leaves
1 tsp Oil
- Soak moong dal for an hour and drain off the excess water in a strainer.Leave it in strainer for sometime so that all the water would be strained.
- In a mixing bowl add strained moong dal,grated coconut,chopped coriander and grated carrot.
- Just before serving,add salt,green chili paste and lemon juice and mix well.Taste it and adjust according the seasoning according to your requirement.
- In a small pan heat oil and crackle mustard seeds and add urad dal and fry until it turns red.Add curry leaves and asafoetida and fry for few more seconds.
- Add the seasoning to the mixed salad and mix it nicely.
- Prepare the salad just before serving,if you make it ahead the salad will leave lot of water.Hence add the salt and spice and mix just before serving.You can make ahead of half an hour and not more than that.
- You can add finely chopped cucumber and also finely chopped or grated raw mango to the above recipe.Adjust lemon juice in the recipe.
- Moong dal can be replaced with chana dal in the recipe and follow the same process.
- You can even add pomegranate kernels to the salad.
- Yellow moong dal can be replaced with sprouted whole moong in the recipe and you can add chopped cucumber and raw mango to the same.