For this post I have adapted this simple recipe from one of my favorite bloggers 'Pavithra of Dishes from my Kitchen'. Did I ever tell you that I love her blog very much? She is a wonderful blogger and a very good friend of mine. I love her diversity of cooking from traditional Indian one's to International cooking. Her presentation skills and food photography are excellent. Coming to today's recipe this raw mango rice that I have prepared tastes similar to the raw mango rice prepared in Karnataka style which I mentioned about earlier.
Raw Mango Rice | Mamidikayi Gojju Annam Recipe :
Source: Dishes from my Kitchen
1 cup Sona masuri rice or Basmati rice
1/2 cup black Chickpeas/kala Chana,boiled until soft
2-3 tbsp chopped Coriander
Salt to taste
for Mango gojju:
2 raw sour Mangoes,peeled and diced
2 tsp Cumin seeds
6 byadige Red chillies(for bright red color)
8-10 regular Red chillies
1/2 tsp Asafoetida
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
2-3 tbsp grated Jaggery
2 tbsp Chana dal
2 tsp split Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
a sprig of Curry leaves
Salt to taste
4 tbsp Sesame oil or regular oil
to make Gojju:
- Warm the red chillies until they are crisp.Grind red chillies with cumin seeds,turmeric powder and asafoetida to a fine powder.
- Add peeled and diced raw mango pieces to it and grind to a fine paste with little water(2-3tbsp).
- Heat oil in a big kadai and crackle mustard seeds.Add chana dal,urad dal and fry well.
- Add curry leaves to it and fry for 30 secs.Add ground paste to it and fry for a minute.
- Cover it with a lid(just cover 3/4th portion of kadai) and let it cook over medium flame until the mixture is thick.
- Add grated jaggery and mix well and cover it and cook again until it oozes out extra oil.Remove it from stove and let it cool.Store it in a clean bottle in refrigerator.You can make this mixture ahead and refrigerate upto 10 days and use when required.
to make Mango rice:
- Soak black chickpeas over night and pressure cook with little salt for 3 whistles.Drain the extra water from it.
- Clean and wash the rice and soak for 10-15 mins and pressure cook it with 1 cup rice:2 cups water ratio or prepare it in rice cooker as you prefer.
- Once it is done spread it over a big plate and let it cool,take care that the rice granules should be separate.
- Add 4-5 tbsp of prepared mango gojju and enough salt to it and mix well.
- Taste the rice now and adjust the sourness and salt according to your taste buds.Add cooked and drained chickpeas and coriander to the rice and mix well.
- Let it sit for 2-3 hrs before serving for the flavors to mix well.If the rice sits for little longer the flavors blend well.
- Addition of black chickpeas is optional,but biting them in the rice gives a nice taste.
- Mango gojju can be stored in refrigerator upto 10 days and preparing the raw mango rice with the already prepared gojju is a breeze.
- Balance the sourness of mango with the jaggery,red chillies and salt which is a key process while making this kind of variety rice.