I love sundal and I always include a variety of sundal in festival thali.It is a low fat spicy snack which complements the meal as well as it can be served as an evening snack.Hot steamed salted fresh groundnuts are one of my favorite snacks and this sundal makes a nice substitute even if we don't get fresh groundnuts.This is a easy peasy recipe which is prepared in a similar way like any other sundal.I added finely chopped raw mangoes to give a touch of beach style sundal which is a popular snack among most beaches of South India.
Groundnut Sundal | Peanut Sundal Recipe:
1 cup Peanuts/Groundnuts
3 tbsp finely chopped raw Mango
2-3 tbsp grated fresh Coconut
1/2 tsp Green chilli paste
a sprig of Curry leaves
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
a pinch of Asafoetida
1-2 tsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Soak groundnuts in water for 1-2hrs and pressure cook them with salt for 2 whistles until they are soft.Drain them and keep aside
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds and add urad dal and fry until they turn brown.
- Add curry leaves,green chilli paste and hing and fry for few seconds.
- Add drained groundnuts,salt and fry for a minute.
- Add grated coconut and finely chopped raw mango it to and mix well.Remove it from stove.
Serve it with a meal or as an evening snack.
- Addition of raw mango is optional,it adds a nice tangy touch to sundal.You can even grate the mango in the recipe.
- You can even make this fresh groundnuts which tastes even better and soft.