I have already mentioned in my previous post that my next post will be pulihora,so I am posting this recipe.And again you guys guessed it correct,my next post will be that lobia sundal...ha ha..Pulihora is especially prepared on the festivals in south India,I like it because of the multiple tastes balanced by the right proportion of ingredients in it.If it sits for longer time the taste will invariably increase and this is also a nice lunch box recipe.Now to the recipe directly.
1 cup sona masura/ponni rice
1 big lemon size tamarind
3-4 tbsp groundnuts
2 tbsp grated jaggery
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp chana dal
1 tbsp urad dal
4-5 dry red chillies,broken
3-4 green chillies,slit
a pinch of turmeric/haldi(optional)
2 generous pinches of hing
a sprig of curry leaves
2 tbsp oil(normal cooking oil what ever you use)
1 tbsp sesame oil
salt to taste
To roast and grind:
2 tbsp white sesame seeds
2 tbsp grated dry coconut
1/4 tsp methi seeds/fenugreek
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Wash the rice properly twice or thrice and add enough water to it and cook it in the normal as you cook rice,either pressure cooker or direct stove top or microwave or electric rice cooker method whichever is convenient for you.
- Once the rice is done cool it completely by spreading it over wide plate smear with oil lightly.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup of water for 10-15 mins or microwave the mixture for 1 min.Microwave method is quite quick when u have lack of time.After it is cooled add grated jaggery and mix well until it is melted completely.
- Dry roast mustard,fenugreek seeds separately.Dry roast sesame seeds until they pop up.Cool them completely and grind all the roasted seeds along with grated coconut to a fine powder.
- In a kadai heat normal oil and sesame oil and crackle the mustard seeds,add groundnuts and fry until they turn red.Add chana dal,urad dal,red chillies,green chillies and fry for a couple of minutes until done.
- Add curry leaves,hing and turmeric powder and fry for a minute and then add tamarind pulp mixture and mix until the mixture thickens completely.Add enough salt to it and mix.
- Now remove it from the stove and let it cool a bit and reserve some mixture and pour the remaining mixture over the cooled rice and also add the powder (ground) and mix properly until everything is well blended.Now check the taste of it and add more tamarind mixture or salt according to your taste.
- Garnish with coriander and grated fresh coconut and serve.