Lobia Fritters/Alasandula vada:
1 cup Lobia/Alasandulu/Black eyed peas
3-4 tbsp finely chopped Onion(1 onion)
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
2-3 tbsp grated carrot(optional)
1 " ginger,chopped
3-4 green chillies
1 tbsp chopped curryleaves
salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
- Soak lobia overnight or atleast for 3hrs.Drain them and spread over a kitchen towel/napkin to remove excess water and pat dry.
- Grind lobia with ginger,salt and green chillies to a coarse paste,preferably do this process in whipper mode.
- Add finely chopped onions,coriander,curry leaves and grated carrot and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep kadai over low flame until it is quite hot.
- Grease a thick plastic cover or banana leaf or your palm with oil and take a small portion of batter and make a round ball out of it and slight pat it until it forms vada by pressing it at the edges and carefully lower them into hot oil and fry them over medium flame until it is golden brown and crisp outer side.
- Drain them on paper towels and serve it hot with tomato ketchup.
Lobia Sundal/Alasandula Guggillu:
1 cup cooked Lobia/Alasandulu/Black eyed peas
1 tbsp chana dal
1 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of hing/asafoetida(optional)
5-6 curry leaves
2-3 tbsp fresh grated coconut
3-4 dry red chillies,broken
1 tsp lemon juice(optional)
1 tsp ghee/oil
salt to taste
- Soak lobia overnight or atleast for 3hrs.Pressure cook them with some salt until 3-4 whistles,it should hold its shape and should not become mushy.Drain cooked lobia and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds.Add chana dal and urad dal and fry until they turn red in color.
- Add broken red chillies and fry for a minute.Now add curry leaves and hing and fry for another minute.
- Add cooked and drained lobia and stir fry for few minutes,do this process carefully in order to avoid lobia to become mushy.
- Add little salt as we added already some salt while cooking them.Add grated coconut and mix properly.
- Switch off the flame and after a minute add lemon juice and stir properly and serve.
- For a Vegan version use oil instead of ghee for tempering.