Chole Dum Biryani and use this gravy for layering instead of chole.
Check out few other exotic gravy recipes in my blog:
- Babycorn Kurma
- Kashmiri Dahi Baingan
- Matar Paneer
- Matar Mushroom Masala | Dhingri Matar
- Mirchi Ka Salan - Hyderabadi Special
- Mushroom Chettinadu | Chettinad Mushroom Masala
- Paneer Butter Masala - Restaurant style!!
- Paneer Makhani/Paneer Makhanwala
- Raw Banana Kofta Curry | Kacche Kele ka Kofta Sabzi
- Shahi Paneer - Restaurant style
- Stuffed Capsicum in rich gravy
Prep time: 30 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Total time: 1 hr
Cuisine: North Indian | Category: Side dish
500 gms Raw tender Jackfruit
1/2 cup frozen Green Peas
5-6 Garlic cloves
1 cup thick fresh curd,nicely beaten(keep at room temperature)
1/2 tsp Homemade Garam masala
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Red chili powder
2 tbsp Coriander leaves,chopped
Salt to taste
3 tbsp Oil
Spices to temper:
2 Green Cardamoms,slightly crushed
1 Green chili,Slit
1 Mace flower(Javithri)
1/2 tsp Shajeera/Black Cumin seeds
- Spread paper on the platform or on the floor.Apply oil to your palms,knife and chopping board and cut jackfruit into two halves.Then cut each half into small portions and remove the green thick skin part and also the center thick stalk.Cut the remaining portion into 1" or 1/2" cubes and immediately immerse those pieces in a bowl of water.You can add 2 tbsp buttermilk to the water as it helps in retaining the color of the jackfruit pieces.
- Chop one onion finely and roughly chop the other onion for pureeing.
- Grind ginger,garlic and one onion to a fine paste and remove the mixture and keep it aside.In the same mixer grind the tomatoes to a fine puree and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and crackle shajeera and add all the spices - bayleaf, cinnamon, mace,cardamom, cloves and green chilli and fry them for a minute.
- Add the finely chopped onion and fry until it turns slightly brown in color.
- Add the ground puree of ginger-garlic-onion paste and fry it until the raw smell goes away.
- Now add tomato puree and fry until the oil leaves the edges.
- Add all the masalas - red chili powder, turmeric powder,coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and salt and fry well for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the raw jackfruit pieces and frozen peas and fry for 3-4 mins and add 1-1.5 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure drops mix the nicely beaten curd into the gravy and boil it on low flame for 3-4 mins by stirring it continuously and cover it with a tight lid(you can even seal the edges of the lid with the soft roti dough) and cook for 8-10 mins on a very low flame.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot with Rotis/Naans/Kulcha/Pulavs/Biryani.
- You can use the same gravy for layering for Kathal Dum Biriyani.Follow the same process as my Chole Dum Biryani and use this gravy for layering instead of chole.
- If you like it more masaledar add few more masalas according to your palate.