Janmashtami is nearing by and it is on Sep 5th and I am sure the preparations would have been started in many households. Though I do not celebrate the festival in a grand scale I do prepare few varieties to offer as a prashad to Lord Krishna on Gokulashtami. Poha, considering as a favorite to lord Krishna I usually prefer to prepare a couple of items with Poha on the festival day. My usual fare would be Atukula Payasam , Atukula upma or Coconut Poha and Mosaru Avalakki(Curd Poha) on the festival day. I usually prefer to prepare Poha Kheer for a sweet item but one can prepare various sweets like Sweet Poha, Poha Ladoo with poha.You can offer any of these poha items along with freshly homemade butter, milk ,curd for the prashad.
This post has been pending from such a long time but somehow I could not post it anytime. This year I made a point to post this one simple sweet in my blog for Krishna Jayanthi and after almost an year I took my camera out to click this simple ladoo to post it in my blog. After all the festival season has just begun and I hope I get some enthusiasm from the fellow bloggers to post few recipes for the upcoming festivals.
Check out other Poha Recipes for Janmashtami:
For a full collection of Janamshtami recipes, CLICK HERE.
Aval Ladoo | Atukula Laddu Recipe:
Yields:6-7 Ladoos | Shelf life:1 week
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins | Total time: 20 mins
Cuisine: Indian | Category: Sweets
1 cup Poha/Atukulu
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1/4 cup Ghee
2 tbsp Cashew nuts,finely chopped
1 tbsp Raisins,chopped
- Dry roast poha over low-medium flame until the poha is well roasted and it turns slight brown in color and also crispy ,it takes around 7-8 mins and let it cool and then powder it to a very fine powder.
- You can use approx grind 1/3 cup sugar(+ 1 to 2 tbsp sugar for sweeter ladoos) with the seeds of two cardamoms to get a fine powder.
- Mix together sugar powder and roasted aval flour without any lumps and it is mixed properly.Check for the sweetness now if you want more sweet add 1-2 tbsp extra sugar powder and mix well again.
- Heat ghee in a wide kadai and add chopped cashew nuts and raisins and fry them until the cashews turns slightly brown and raisins become plumpy.
- Add the ghee with the roasted dryfruits to the aval-sugar powder mixture and mix it properly until the ghee is coated properly.
- Let the mixture becomes luke warm and can be handled with hands.Make lemon sized round balls out of it and arrange them in a plate. If you find it difficult to make into ladoos heat 1-2 tbsp ghee accordingly and add it to the mixture and make ladoos.
- Once it is cooled completely store it in an air tight container.These can be stored for over a week.
- These ladoos are very fragile and hence handle it with care.
- Grind poha to a very fine powder, if it is coarse the ladoos would not taste nice.
- If you find it difficult to make into ladoos heat 1-2 tbsp ghee accordingly and add it to the mixture and make ladoos.
- If you want to reduce the ghee portion you can even sprinkle some milk to the mixture and make ladoos but it reduces the shelf life of ladoos.
- Add 1 cup powdered sugar to 1 cup poha , but you can taste the mixture after it is mixed and add more sugar powder if necessary.
- You can even add grated dry coconut to the mixture while preparing ladoos, the dry coconut adds nice texture to the ladoos.
- You can even add roasted gram dal powder or roasted peanut powder or freshly grated coconut to the mixture while preparing ladoos, all those variations taste good.
- You can use jaggery instead of sugar but I prefer the sugar version.