The options with raw banana are limited, I usually end up preparing a stir fry for rice or a simple sabzi for rotis regularly and these Raw Banana(Kele ka) Pakoras on rare occasions. You can even use raw banana to make cutlets or koftas like I did. These koftas can be served as a snack too,they tastes delicious when deep fried. Another healthy option to fry these koftas is to shallow fry them in Paniyaram pan which consumes less oil compared to deep fried version. I prefer to fry the koftas in paniyaram pan if I am making it for my family, I prefer the deep fried version if I prepare it for a party or on special occasions. The texture of the koftas is definitely better when deep fried but the taste of shallow fried is even good.
Check out few recipes with Raw Bananas in my blog here:
- Kele Ki Kadhi | Kadhi with Raw Banana
- Raw Banana Pepper fry
- Aratikaya Aava pettina Kura
- Raw Banana(Kele ka) Pakoras
- Aratikaya Pacchi Pulusu(Raw Banana Tangy Stew)
- Avial | Mixed Vegetables in Coconut Yogurt Gravy
Raw Banana Kofta Curry Recipe:
Prep time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 40mins | Total time: 1 hr
Cuisine: North Indian | Category: Side Dish - Main Course
2 large Raw Bananas
1 medium Potato
3-4 tbsp Chickpea flour(Besan)
2-3 tbsp Raisins
1 small Onion,finely chopped
2 Green chillies,finely chopped
1/2" Ginger,finely chopped
2 tbsp Coriander leaves,chopped
1/2 tsp Amchur powder
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
1/4 tsp Home made Garam masala
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Oil,to deep fry
3 medium Tomatoes, make a cross on them
2 medium Onions, quartered
1.5 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1/3 cup Milk or 1/4 cup Cream
6-8 Cashew nuts
1 tsp Kasuri Methi
2 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
3/4 tsp Red chili powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Home made Garam masala
1/2 tsp Sugar,optional
Salt to taste
2-3 tbsp Oil
to make Koftas:
- Cut the ends of raw bananas and cut them into 2-3 pieces and pressure cook along with potato for 3 whistles.After it cools down,peel the skin of raw bananas and potato and mash it nicely using potato masher while it is still warm and keep it aside.
- Dry roast chickpea flour until you get nice aroma from it and let it cool.
- Add all the masalas - red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder , garam masala powder and salt to the mashed raw banana and potato mixture and mix it nicely.The mixture would be very soft and mushy at this point.
- Add finely chopped onion,green chillies and coriander and mix well.Now add roasted chickpea flour and mix nicely,do not add all the quantity of besan at once, add in small portions and mxi until you feel the mixture is not very sticky.Do not add more besan,the koftas would be softer when the dough is slightly smooth instead of stiff dough.
- Grease your palms with oil and make gooseberry sized koftas and try to stuff raisins in it - by initially making it like a cup and stuff raisins and close it to form a kofta. Refrigerate them for half an hour so that they will firm up slightly,you can use them immediately too if you are short of time.
- Heat oil in a deep curved pan until it is hot and add koftas and fry them on medium flame until they turn in deep brown color.Remove them with the slotted spoon on to a kitchen napkin.
- If you are looking for healthy option - you can fry them alternatively in an Aebliskever pan. Heat the pan and add 1/2 tsp of oil in each impression and when it is piping hot keep the flame on LOW and place the koftas in it and fry them by turning them slightly in between until they get roasted on all sides.This is time consuming but a very healthy alternative option. Keep them aside until serving time.
to make Gravy:
- Boil water and add quartered onions, tomatoes(make a cross before) and cashew nuts and boil them for 2-3 minutes. Drain them and once they become cool, remove the skin of tomatoes and chop them roughly. Grind the tomatoes, boiled onions and cashew nuts to a very smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add ginger-garlic paste followed by the ground onion-tomato-cashew paste and fry well until the oil leaves in the edges and the masala becomes dry.
- Add the dry masalas - red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and salt and fry nicely for 3-4 mins.You can add a tbsp of water if you feel that the mixture would burn. Ensure you fry the masala nicely with out getting it burnt.
- Add roughly 3/4 -1 cup of water to it and let it come to boil.Add kasuri methi and sugar and let the gravy simmer for 8-10 mins.The consistency of the gravy should not be very thick or very thin, it should be of medium thickness consistency.Aslo remember that the koftas observe the gravy,so prepare the gravy of medium consistency.
- Switch off the flame and add cream or milk to it and stir nicely.
- When you are ready serve,arrange koftas in a serving bowl and pour the hot gravy over it and cover it for 10-12 mins to let the koftas observe the gravy.You can add the koftas to the gravy and simmer for 1-2 mins before adding the cream/milk, do not boil the koftas for long it will make them soggy otherwise.
- Garnish with coriander and cream.
Serve it hot with Rotis/Naans/Kulchas/Jeera rice.
- Koftas can be deep fried or shallow fried or oven baked according to your choice.Deep fried koftas has better texture when compared to shallow fried or oven baked ones.If you make this recipe for parties I suggest you to deep fry and for regular cooking you can either shallow fry or bake them in oven.
- The gravy consistency is important as the koftas would absorb the gravy. Make sure you add gravy to the koftas before serving, otherwise they will turn soggy if kept for long.
- Cashew nuts can be ground and added in the later stage, but for ease I ground along with the onions and tomatoes.
- Raw Banana koftas can be served as an appetizer or snack by sprinkling some chaat masala over it.