Cauliflower is one of those veggies which features regularly in my kitchen and Ajwani Aloo Gobi with mustard flavor is one of my most favorite preparations with it. It serves as a nice combination with rotis. I usually prepare this Cauliflower curry or this simple aromatic Gobi stir fry which tastes well even with rice.
This recipe is quite simple to make and is very aromatic because of the addition of coriander and garlic while pounding the coconut masala.You can adapt this recipe to various vegetables like Potatoes, Ladies finger, Tindora, Clusterbeans, French beans, Long beans, Brinjal and Cabbage and follow the same process but adjust the cooking time accordingly. While a few vegetables like potatoes needs to be cooked first others such as cluster beans, french beans, long beans are to be steamed , the rest of the veggies listed above should be sauteed in oil until they are done.Now let's see how this simple and versatile recipe is prepared.
Cauliflower Stir Fry | Aromatic Gobi Curry Recipe:
1 small Cauliflower,cut into small florets
1 Onion,finely chopped
juice of 1/2 Lemon
a sprig of Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Oil
1/4 cup grated fresh Coconut
3-4 Green chillies
3-4 Garlic cloves
2-3 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
Salt to taste
- Clean and check the cauliflower florets and add them to the boiling water with salt and turmeric powder and switch off the flame and leave them aside for 2-3 mins.Drain and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan and crackle mustard seeds and add chana dal and urad dal and fry until they become golden in color.
- Add curry leaves and finely chopped onion and fry well until they turn pink in color.
- Now add drained cauliflower florets and fry for 2 mins.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of water and cover it and cook it on low flame for 7-8 mins until the cauliflower is cooked.Take care that it should not become mushy,it should be cooked and firm to touch.
- Meanwhile grind grated coconut with green chillies,garlic cloves,coriander leaves and salt to a coarse paste.Do not add water while grinding it.
- Add the ground masala to the cooked cauliflower and fry it for some time and cover it and cook for 2 mins.
Serve it hot with Roti/Rice/Chapati.
- You can skip onion and garlic in the recipe if you are preparing on festivals.
- Soaking the cauliflower florets in salted water will remove if there are any insects in cauliflower.I always do this even after checking the florets to make sure for myself.
Also check out other cauliflower recipes in my blog: