5-6 Idlis,cut into 1/2" wide strips
2 tbsp Idly podi or Idly chili powder or Milagai Podi(recipe follows)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
1 tbsp sesame/olive oil(I used olive oil)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp jeera
1 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp chana dal
1 big onion,roughly chopped
2 green chillies,finely chopped
1 garlic pod,pressed(adds a very nice flavor)
15-20 curry leaves
a pinch of hing
- Cut the cooled idlis(use left over idlis) into lengthy strips and keep them aside.In order to fry them you can use of any of these following methods according to your preference.
- Deep fry the idly wedges in oil until light golden brown in color.
- Shallow fry them ie., heat a tbsp of oil in a wide bottomed pan and place the idly wedges separately and roast on both sides until crisp and golden.
- Arrange the idly wedges on a greased aluminum foil and gently spray/drizzle olive oil over it and bake/grill it in preheated oven @ 180 deg for 12-15 mins until light golden brown in color.This is the method I opted to get crispy Idly wedges.
- Heat a tbsp of sesame/olive oil in a wide wok/pan and crackle mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add pressed garlic pod,chopped green chillies and hing and fry until light brown.Add chopped onions and fry until they are translucent and slightly crisp.
- Add curry leaves and fry until they are really crisp or if you find the oil is less,do this in a separate pan and add the crispy fried curry leaves to the onion mixture.
- Add the roasted/fried idly wedges and add idly chilli powder ,salt and turmeric powder and stir fry them on medium to high flame until all the idly wedges are coated nicely with the masala and powder's,let it roast for few more mins.
- If you want you can squeeze a lemon wedge over it before serving,it is optional to add lemon juice.
Serve it piping hot and it does not require any other accompaniment as it tastes really good on its own.If you are serving for kids,serve it with tomato ketchup.Note:
- Instead of cutting the idlis into wedges,you can even use button idly(small idly) to make this.
- You can even add a tbsp of tomato ketchup after adding roasted idlis to it,it will be a nice treat for kids.
4 tbsp urad dal
3 tbsp chana dal
6-8 guntur red chillies
4-5 byadige red chillies
1 tsp sesame seeds or 2 tsp grated dry coconut(optional)
2 garlic pods(optional)
1/4 tsp hing,use the rock variety
salt to taste
- Dry roast urad dal and chana dal until golden brown and keep it aside and let them cool.
- Dry roast red chillies and hing until the chillies are crisp and keep them aside and let them cool.
- Dry roast sesame seeds or dry coconut until light golden brown color and let it cool.
- Grind all the above ingredients with enough salt to a coarse powder.Add the garlic pods and turn in whipper mode again.
- Store it in a air tight container.