1 cup sona masuri rice (or any regular rice)
1 cup yellow moong dal
5-6 green chillies,sliced roughly
8-10 curry leaves
3 tbsp chopped coriander
12-15 cashew nuts,chopped
1/4 cup grated dry coconut
1 tsp pepper corns,slightly crushed
1 tsp jeera-pepper powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
a pinch of hing
3 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp oil
- Slightly roast the moong dal until you get a nice aroma of it.Remove it from stove and let it cool down a bit,mix with washed rice in a pressure cooker and add 4 cups of water,a pinch of turmeric,salt and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- In a heavy bottomed kadai heat 2 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp oil and crackle cumin seeds,and add finely chopped ginger,cashew nuts and green chillies and fry them until they turn slightly brown.
- Add hing,curry leaves,crushed pepper corns to it and fry again.
- Now add grated dry coconut and fry until it turns slightly brown and a nice aroma comes from it.
- Add this fried mixture to the cooked rice and dal mixture and mix well.Add a cup of water roughly(add more if required to get a desired consistency),salt,turmeric powder,chopped coriander and mix well.
- Let it start bubbling then add jeera-pepper powder and mix well.At the end mix in a tbsp of ghee and remove from stove.