Whole green moong dal, masoor dal or moong dal . There are no hard and fast rules for the addition of ingredients in the recipe.One can prepare it very simple with out any spices or you can make it bit masaledar by adding the spices, I like both the versions too.
Check out other Dal recipes in my blog:
Kala Masoor Dal Recipe:
Serves 2-3 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins | Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine: North Indian | Category: Side dish - Dal
1/2 cup Kala Masoor(Whole Masoor dal)
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 large Tomato, finely chopped
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1 Green Chili, slit
1 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Garam masala,optional
3/4 tsp Red chili powder
a pinch of Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tbsp Oil/Ghee
Salt to taste
- Wash and pressure cook kala masoor dal for 3 whistles and reduce the flame and cook it for 5-7 mins.
- In a kadai heat oil/ghee and crackle cumin seeds and add asafoetida.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for half a minute and then add chopped onion and fry it nicely until the onion turns transparent.
- Add slit green chili and chopped tomatoes and fry nicely until the tomatoes turn slightly mushy.
- Add all the spices- red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and salt and fry until the mixture leaves the oil.
- Add cooked whole masoor dal and mix nicely and cook it for 5-6 mins until the dal gets a nice boil and cook properly.
- Add coriander leaves at the end.
Serve it hot with rotis/parathas or rice.
- You can prepare any variety of dal like whole moong, lobia, chole, rajma, white peas, mixed lentils using the same process.
- You can avoid ginger-garlic paste and add just either chopped garlic or chopped ginger to it.
- The addition of spices like coriander powder,cumin powder and garam masala are optional.You can avoid them if you want.