I usually do not add cream for the soup on regular basis unless I serve it with cream for guests or when served for my little one, but the addition of cream adds a very nice taste to the soup and hence do not avoid it if you do not bother about those little extra calories,one can add just 1-2 tsp of cream to one portion of soup.
Check out other soup recipes in my blog:
Easy Tomato Soup Recipe:
Serves 2 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine: Indian | Category: Appetizer- Soup
2 large ripen Tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped Carrots
1.5 tbsp chopped Beetroot, optional
1.5 tbsp chopped Onion
2 Garlic Pods, roughly chopped
2 tsp Corn flour
1/2" Cinnamon stick
3/4 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Pepper powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp Butter,optional
Parsley or Coriander leaves, for garnish
Salt and Pepper, to serve
Bread Croutons or Garlic Bread, to serve
- Wash and make a cross on tomatoes and pressure cook chopped carrots,beetroot,onion, garlic and crossed tomatoes with bayleaf,cinnamon and enough water for 3-4 whistles.
- Once the pressure comes down, fish out the bayleaf and cinnamon stick.Remove the tomatoes and peel the skin off it and chop them roughly by removing the eyes of tomatoes and put the tomatoes back into the cooker and using an immersion blender, blend the tomato mixture to a nice smooth puree.
- Strain the mixture through a mesh colander and again put the mixture in the same cooker or another vessel.Switch on the flame.
- Mix cornflour in 3-4 tbsp of water nicely and add the cornflour mixture to the tomato soup by mixing it simultaneously to avoid any lumps formation in the soup.
- Add salt, sugar and pepper powder to the soup and let it come to a boil and continue boiling until you get the desired consistency. You can add more water accordingly and also taste the soup and adjust the seasoning.
- Add butter to the hot soup and mix for a nice buttery taste, this step is optional but it adds a nice taste to the soup.
Serve it hot in soup bowl with generous sprinkle of pepper, cream and strips of coriander/parsley. Serve them with bread croutons or garlic bread.
- The addition of carrot is optional, but it balances the tartness of tomatoes beautifully, if you wish you can avoid it by adding a bit of more sugar to balance the tartness of tomatoes.
- The addition of beetroot is again optional, I have added it to give a nice color to the soup.You can avoid it if needed.
- If you want you can avoid onion but do not skip garlic for this soup.
- You can make your own bread croutons by deep frying or shallow frying the cubed bread pieces.
- Make sure you remove the skin and eyes of tomatoes for a smooth soup.Also drain the mixture else the soup will have lot of tomato seeds which spoils the taste of it.
- If you are preparing this soup for the kids, you can add a potato while boiling and avoid cornflour in the recipe as the potatoes gives the thickness to the soup and also it will be a wholesome food for the toddlers.