Rava ladoo is one of the easiest ladoo recipes which even a beginner can attempt with out any fear,it is not only easy but also is very tasty. There are few variations in the preparation process of these ladoos. In south India few house holds use freshly grated coconut and few do not use it,but the addition of coconut reduces the shelf life of these ladoos.Also some prefer to use milk as binding agent and use little ghee to prepare the ladoos while few prepare the ladoos with lots of ghee and again the addition of milk reduces the shelf life of these ladoos.While in North few use dessicated coconut instead of fresh coconut to make these ladoos.Whatever might be the variation these ladoos still taste equally delicious.
If you are looking for a easy sweet recipe to prepare for this Diwali this sooji ladoo is the best option to prepare.
Also check out other Ladoo recipes in my blog here:
Rava Laddu | Sooji Ladoo Recipe:
yields 18-20 ladoos
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Sweets
2 heaped cups Sooji or Chiroti Rava
2 levelled cups Sugar
1 cup grated Coconut
10-12 Cashewnuts,finely chopped
3-4 tbsp Raisins
1/3 - 1/2 cup Ghee,enough to form ladoos
1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a kadai and fry chopped cashew nuts and raisins and fry them until the cashew nuts turn golden brown in color and the raisins become plump.Remove them and keep aside.
- In the same kadai add rava and fry until you get a nice aroma and roast with out discoloring the rava and remove it to plate.
- In the same kadai add fresh grated coconut and fry slightly for a short time.
- Powder sugar in a mixie and remove it to a big bowl.
- Powder the roasted rava to a coarse powder,you can avoid this step if you are using baarik rava(chiroti rava).
- Add roasted and ground rava and grated coconut to the powdered sugar in a bowl and mix everything well and leave it aside for half an hour.
- Add fried cashew nuts and raisins and cardamom powder to the above mixture.
- Melt the ghee and add it to the mixture and mix nicely.
- Make small balls(ladoos) out of this mixture using hands.Roll the ladoos tightly so that they would not break down when arrange in the box later. If the mixture is too dry to roll into ladoos,you can add either more warm melted ghee or some milk and mix well and start making ladoos again.
Arrange them in a wide airtight container and store it upto a week.You can even refrigerate them.
- The shelf life of these ladoos is not much as we use fresh grated coconut in it.I would recommend to keep it in fridge after 1-2 days.
- If you want to increase the shelf life avoid fresh coconut and can prepare the ladoos following the same process.
- You can reduce the quantity of ghee and sprinkle approximately 1/4 cup of milk to all the ingredients while mixing in a bowl and leave it for half an hour.
- The ladoos would be slightly soft while rolling and get set when rested for a couple of hours.