I am here to kick start my 'Family Food - Tasty Thursdays (FF-TT)' series. I don't think that this time introduction is required for any one as I had already introduced all my cousins in my earlier series.Even this time,the first post is sent to me by my S-I-L Ashwini .Because of lack of time I gave her a dead line to send her entry and she had sent it with no choice though she wanted some more time to think something else and send.Pakoras are one of the most popular snacks which is best when served with evening tea.Onion pakora,paneer pakora,bread pakora,mirch pakoda,alu/kela pakora,capsicum pakora are the most common varieties.Though the ingredients for base are similar with minor variations it is really challenging to make good and crispy pakoras.Ideally pakoras should be crispy outside with a soft texture inside and also should not be oily.
These oats pakoras are quite different from the other pakoras as there is no besan(chickpea flour) in it and is made very healthy with greens and ragi flour.This oats pakoda is packed with protein, iron and calcium.If you want to give your family a healthy oats snack you can opt this version for sure as this is a easy and healthy way to feed the fussy oat haters.This can be served as a party appetizer too.
Oats Pakoda(Fritters) Recipe:
(Yields around 20)
1 cup quick cooking Oats
1/3 cup hot Water
2 tbsp Rice flour
2 tbsp Ragi flour
1/2 cup finely chopped Palak
1/8 cup finely chopped Curry leaves
1 medium sized Onion,finely chopped
1/8 cup finely chopped Coriander leaves
4-5 green Chillies
4-5 Garlic pods
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Mix quick oats with hot water and keep it aside for about 5 minutes. ( Avoid adding too much of water as water oozes out of onions when added to this mixture)
- Grind ginger,garlic and green chillies to a coarse paste.
- Mean while heat oil for deep frying in a kadai.
- Add all the remaining ingredients rice flour,ragi flour,chopped palak,onions,curry leaves,coriander leaves,ginger-garlic-green chilli paste,turmeric powder and red chili powder to the oats mixture and mix well.
- If required you can add little hot water, the consistency of the mixture should be like onion pakoda mixture.
- Drop the mixture in bunches like how we do for onion pakoda or shape them into small balls and drop them into hot oil on medium heat. Fry the fritters till golden brown.