I have tried a couple of instant microwave versions but was not really impressed with them.Recently, when I was searching again for a different recipe I ended up seeing this recipe in Suma's space and really wanted to give a try immediately.The best part of the recipe is that it is instant and just needs a bowl and whisk so its not messy at all and everything can be finished in a matter of 5 mins. Call it by whatever name you want -cake or brownie- it's easy to prepare and is yummilicious enough to satisfy your craving for a chocolate dessert even in the middle of the night. Just give it a try am sure you will love this recipe. The entire preparation is done in a mug and hence you can call it a 'Mug cake' but today I poured into two ramekins to get two portions.
(recipe source : Art of Dessert)
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
4 tbsp icing sugar(or powdered sugar)
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp dark chocolate pieces(or semi sweet chocolate chips)
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl and let it cool.Add milk and vanilla essence and whisk well.I used salted butter in it,so I did not add salt.If you are using unsalted butter add a pinch of salt to the batter.
- In another bowl mix flour,icing sugar,cocoa powder until everything is mixed really well.
- Now add this dry ingredients to the wet ingredients mixture in the microwave safe bowl and fold in the mixture properly.
- Add dark chocolate pieces and walnuts to it and mix well.
- Microwave it on HIGH for 1 minute and 30 seconds.Let it stand for a couple of minutes(approx 2mins).(I have poured this into two ramekins and microwaved for the same time)
- Be precise to the measurements to get good results.
- Check the brownie after 1 1/2 mins,if the surface is soft and dry to touch then it is done,no need to further microwave it.Do not microwave it for longer period,otherwise the brownie will become very hard.
- I have poured the mixture into two ramekins,you can do it in a single micro safe mug or cup.
- It is cooked in the microwave in microwave mode,not the convention mode.My microwave oven is of 1100 watts power.
- Pour the batter upto half of the ramekin or mug height.
- I used salted butter in it,so I did not add salt.If you are using unsalted butter add a pinch of salt to the batter.