1 cup broken wheat or Lapsi
1 onion,roughly chopped
1 small carrot,diced into 1/4" cubes
5-6 french beans,threaded and cut into 1/4" pieces
1 small potato,diced into 1/4" cubes
2-3 cauliflower florets,cut into thin pieces
1/4 cup green peas
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
juice of 1 small lemon
salt to taste
1 tsp ghee
3 tsp oil
2 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup coriander leaves
1/4 cup mint leaves
4-5 green chillies
2-3 garlic pods
1/2 " cinnamon
1 green cardamom
2 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp grated coconut(optional)
- Heat a tsp of oil in a kadai and fry broken wheat until light brown in color.Let it cool and keep aside.
- Grind cloves,cinnamon,cardamom to a coarse powder.Add ginger,garlic and green chillies to it and blend again.
- Add coriander and mint leaves and grind to a coarse paste.
- Heat 2tsp oil and 1 tsp ghee in a thick bottomed pan or pressure cooker and crackle cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onions and fry until they are translucent.Add all the vegetables one by one and fry them for 3-4 mins.
- Add ground masala paste and fry until dry and add the measured water and let it come to a boil and add enough salt and broken wheat and mix well and cook it covered for 4-5 mins until the broken wheat is cooked.If you are using pressure cooker,pressure cook it for 1 whistle.
- Once you open the lid add lemon juice and coriander and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander and grated coconut.
- For a Vegan version avoid ghee in the recipe.