1 Bunch of Yard long beans
1/2 cup chana dal
1 big Onion,finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
A sprig of curry leaves
2 garlic cloves,chopped and crushed
5-6 dry red chillies
2-3 tbsp grated dry coconut
4-5 garlic cloves
salt to taste
- Wash and wipe the yard long beans and chop them into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Pressure cook chana dal for 1 whistle or cook it on stove top until it is done.Take care that the dal will not become mushy.Drain it and keep aside
- To make Garlic Chilli powder grind red chillies along with grated dry coconut and salt to a coarse powder.Add garlic cloves to it at the end and grind again.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed tawa and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add crushed garlic,curry leaves and fry for a minute.Add finely chopped onions and fry until they are translucent.
- Add the chopped beans and fry for 2-3 mins.Cover it with a deep bottom plate and fill it with water and let the beans cook on steam for 12-15 mins until the beans are tender.
- Add chana dal to it and fry for 4-5 mins.
- Add the ground spice powder to it and mix and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Remove it from fire and serve hot.
You can use cluster beans/gawarphali/goru chikkudu instead of yard long beans in this recipe and follow the same procedure.Just that you need to parboil o pressure cook cluster beans before proceding to make the curry instead of steam cooking it.
This is going to participate in MLLA-18 hosted by Srivalli of Cooking 4 all seasons event started by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook.