When it comes to baking, I must admit that I am bit lazy these days and also need a push to bake something.The fact is that we do not eat much of fatty stuff and hence I don't bake much of cakes on regular basis unless it is for an occasion.But if I ever come across any healthy recipes related to baking I do not mind to try them immediately and this is one recipe which I tried it almost immediately by modifying the recipe a bit.I made them very long back but I could not post the recipe as I forgot about this post which was lying in my drafts from so long.
I liked the usage of all the millet flours in the recipe and the resultant crackers are guilt free and we can actually feel good that we are indulging into healthy stuff.I have prepared these crackers a couple of times with variations and it came out well and I am posting here what worked well for me.You can serve these crackers with dips of your choice - Hummus, Sour Cream dip etc,check out more Dips recipes here or you can even munch on them just like that, the nuttiness from the sesame seeds makes these crackers more tastier to eat.
Multigrain Crackers Recipe:
Source: Divine taste
makes around 40-50 small crackers
Prep time: 15 mins | Baking time: 20 mins | Total time:30-40 mins
Cuisine: Indian | Category: Baking - Snacks
1/2 cup Whole Wheat flour
1/4 cup Jowar flour(Sorghum ka atta)
1/4 cup Finger millet flour(Nachni/Ragi)
1/4 cup Pearl millet flour(Bajra)
1/4 cup quick cooking Oats
1/4 cup Sesame seeds
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup + 3 tbsp Water
Salt to taste(roughly 3/4 tsp)
- Slightly roast the sesame seeds until they start popping up in the pan.
- In a bowl mix all the flours-whear,jowar, bajra ,nachni with oats,roasted sesame seeds, salt and oil. Mix everything together with your hand so that all the ingredients are uniformly mixed.
- Now add water in batches and mix until you get chapati dough consistency.Adjust the water quantity as the water absorption capacity for each flour is different.You might need a couple of tbsp more or less to make the dough.Rest the dough for 15-20 mins.
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg C for 8-10 mins.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and roll each portion into a big circle of 7-8" in diameter and thicker than the roti.
- Using a cookie cutter cut into various shapes - circles, squares,triangles,rectangles or shapes of your choice.
- Arrange them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or baking sheet and bake it for 20-25 mins at 160 deg C.Please keep an eye after 15-20 mins and remove them if you see the edges turning red in color as these become more crispier once they cool down.
Store them in an air tight container.
Serve these healthy multigrain crackers with Dips of your choice or eat them as a snack.You can even use these crackers as a base like canapes.
- You can use flours of your choice and alter the recipe accordingly.
- Sesame seeds can be substituted with cumin seeds, carom seeds, khus khus for a variation.
- You can also add red chilli powder or coarsely ground pepper powder if you want to make them spicy.