Garlic Rice Recipe:
Prep time:10 mins | Cooking time:20 mins | Total time:30 mins
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Rice Varieties - Main Course
1 cup Raw Rice (Sona masuri or equivalent)
18-20 small Garlic pods
8-10 Cashew nuts,slit into halves
4-5 Red chillies,broken
8-10 Black Pepper corns,coarsely ground
juice of 1/2 Lemon(optional)
a sprig of Curry leaves
1 tbsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Ghee
Salt to taste
- Cook Rice and spread it in a plate to let it cool down and make sure that the rice grains stay separate.You can use 2 1/4 cups of water for 1 cup of sona masuri and cook it in pressure cooker or rice cooker.
- Heat oil and ghee in a deep kadai/pan and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add chana dal, urad dal and cashew nuts and fry until they turn slight golden in color.
- Now add garlic pods and fry until they turn slightly brown.You do not need to fry until crisp,the garlic pods should be soft but cooked well.
- Add red chillies,curry leaves and freshly ground pepper powder and fry again for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and add the tempering to the spread cooled rice.Add salt and lemon juice(if adding) to it and mix it nicely.Now taste it and adjust the seasoning according to your wish.
Serve it with Chips/Fryums.
- I have mentioned standard Indian size garlic pods in the recipe.If you are using the big sized ones reduce the number to 6-8 pods and slice them into fat bits,do not slice them thin.
- Use spicy variety red chillies as the main spice we used here is red chillies.Also use freshly ground coarse pepper corns,it is added for the flavor.
- This rice tastes nice if it is prepared spicy.But you can prepare it according to your spice levels.
- I mentioned lemon juice as optional but it balances the taste,so I recommend to use it.But add it accordingly to balance the flavors of rice.
- You can even use left over rice to prepare this.
- Do not use Basmati rice for this rice,use sona masuri or ponni or surti kolam or any equivalent variety to prepare this.