The chocolate cupcakes with the frosting is truly a delight for the kids. These are ideal for kids during bithday parties as they can decorate it as per their wish. It can also be a good decoration for parties -imagine a tower of cupcakes or any such form.
MOIST CHOCOLATE CUP CAKES RECIPE:
(makes around 12)
Recipe Source: Joy of Baking
1 1/3 cups (175 grams) All purpose flour
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted Butter*,at room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white Sugar
2 large Eggs
1/2 cup (50 grams) Dutch-processed Cocoa powder
1 cup (240 ml) boiling hot Water
2 teaspoons Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons pure Vanilla extract
Chocolate Butter cream Frosting:
1 cup unsalted Butter*,softened
3 1/2 cups Icing sugar
1/2 cup Cocoa powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp Milk or heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F (190 deg C). Lightly butter,or line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small bowl mix in the cocoa powder with the boiling hot water and whisk until you get a smooth mixture.Let it cool to room temperature.
- Sieve together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Then in the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and beat only until incorporated. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup about two-thirds full with batter and bake for about 16 - 20 minutes or until it is risen and springy to the touch.Test it with a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. (Do not over bake or the cupcakes will be dry.)
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost with icing(recipe below). You can either spread the frosting on the cupcakes with a small spatula like I did or also using piping method which gives pretty patterns.
- Decorate with various color sprinkles,m&ms,chocolate shavings,chocolate chips etc.
- Cream butter for a few minutes in a hand mixer over medium speed.
- Turn off the mixer and add sifted powdered sugar and cocoa into the mixing bowl.
- Keep the mixer on the lowest speed so that the dry ingredients would not not blow everywhere.Mix with the hand mixer until the sugar and cocoa are mixed well with the butter. Now increase the mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and milk(or cream) and beat for 3-4 minutes until it is smooth and stiff consistency.
- If you want still a more thick frosting add little more sugar an if you need a thin frosting add 1-2 tbsp of milk.
Serve them as a snack/dessert.You can keep them for 2 days outside and 4-5 days if refrigerated.These cupcakes were very moist and tasted really nice even if it is refrigerated.
* You can use salted butter like Amul in both the cake and butter cream recipes,in that case skip the extra salt mentioned in the recipe.
- For frosting always use Icing sugar which gives desired results.
- You can make Vanilla White butter cream frosting using the same recipe as cocoa butter cream frosting.Replace 1/2 cup cocoa powder with 1/2 cup Icing sugar in the recipe.