I usually make either paratha or kofta or akki roti with bottle gourd as TH does not prefer bottle gourd in curries.As my in-laws are here now I had a chance to prepare this curry for lunch .I like the slight sweet taste of the vegetables like bottle gourd,ridge gourd after they get cooked and chana dal adds a nice bite when cooked.This is a simple recipe which goes well with rice and roti.Lauki chana dal Recipe | Sorakaya Senagapappu Kura:
1 medium Bottle gourd(roughly 2 1/2 cups chopped)
1/2 cup Chana dal
2 medium Onions,chopped
2 Tomatoes,finely chopped
2-3 Green chillies,slit
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
3/4 tsp Red chili powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Garam masala (optional)
a sprig of Curry leaves
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
a pinch of Asafoetida
1 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Soak chana dal for 1 hr.Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a small pressure cooker or thick kadai and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add hing,slit green chillies and curry leaves and fry for 30-40 secs.
- Add chopped onions and fry until they are translucent.
- Add chopped bottle gourd pieces and fry for 2-3 mins.Add chopped tomatoes and soaked chana dal and again saute for a minute.
- Add coriander powder,red chili powder,garam masala,turmeric powder and salt fry for a minute.
- Add 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles.If you are using kadai cover it and cook for 8-10 mins until bottle gourd is cooked.Chana dal should be firm to touch but it should be cooked.
- once the pressure is down(if using cooker) cook on high flame for a minute or two and switch off the flame.
- You can replace bottle gourd with ridge gourd or white pumpkin and follow the same recipe.