Well!!!..You will not get to see this in any hotel menu,but you can find it in our home where this is made to make the fussy eaters eat their food with lots of enthusiasm.I remember eating this for the first time at my aunts place during my child hood and then pestered my mom to make it for me and now it is been very regular in my menu.Mysore Masala Chapati(MMC) is nothing but a regular chapati made in the style of Mysore Masala Dosa(MMD) by smearing the red chutney and placing the potato palya in it and is eaten with coconut chutney.I am not a person who prefers eating chapati with dry alu palya/sabzi,so I make it in this form which I really relish each and every bite of it.Take my words and give a try,I am sure you will definitely love it and if you have fussy kids it is a great variation for them to try this.I am sure every one knows how to make chapati,red chutney and alu palya,but I prefer keeping everything at one place rather than redirecting my viewers with the links and hence,here is the recipe.This breakfast is going to participate in srivalli's 'Breakfast Mela' event
1 cup wheat flour
2 tsp ghee
2 tbsp curds
salt to taste
Oil & ghee for roasting
for Potato palya:
2 large potatoes,boiled
1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
3 tbsp fresh or frozen peas
1 medium Onion chopped
3-4 green chillies,slitted
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp chana dal
1 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tsp lemon juice
8-10 chopped curry leaves
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
for red Chutney:
1 big Onion chopped
8-10 garlic pods
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp tamarind pulp
salt to taste
Step 1 : Potato Palya
- Mash the peeled and boiled potatoes and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,crackle mustard seeds and fry chana dal,urad dal till brown.
- Add slitted green chillies,curry leaves and onions and fry until they turn pinkish in color.
- Add fresh/frozen peas,finely chopped carrot and fry well.
- Add turmeric,salt and mashed potato to it and give a nice stir and cook it for a couple of minutes.
- Add coriander and lemon juice to it and mix properly and keep it aside to cool down.
- Grind Onion,garlic,red chilli powder,tamarind pulp and salt into a very fine paste.You can reduce the number of garlic pods if you do not like the pungency of garlic or you even avoid onion and use all garlic pods if you like garlic to make this chutney.
- Sieve wheat flour well and take it into a bowl .
- Make a well in between and add curds,ghee,salt to it and rub in the mixture into the wheat flour gently using the fingers.
- Add required amount of water to it and make into a smooth dough.You can even use milk instead of water for making softer chapatis.
- Grease your palms and knead well into a smooth elastic dough.
- Cover it with cloth or plate and leave it aside for half an hour.
- Pinch into the chapati dough and take a big lemon sized ball and dust it with atta/flour and flatten it using a rolling pin into a 3" diameter circle.If you are making the chapatis round,flatten it further to a 6" diameter circle.
- Now apply ghee/oil on the chapathi and fold into half and then apply the ghee/oil on the half and fold into a quarter.This process make the chapati flaky and soft.
- Now roll it into a slightly thicker triangular chapati which should be thick like paratha.
- Place the rolled triangular or circular chapati on a hot tawa.Keep the flame on medium-high at this stage.
- When you see some blisters forming on it quickly turn it on to the other side.Apply oil all over it and quickly turn to the other side,you can see the chapati has nice brown spots over it.
- Reduce the flame and apply red chutney over it and place potato palya in between and fold it into half.
- Apply ghee on the outside of chapati and roast on both the sides of the folded chapati until crisp and evenly browned.
- I have used roti dough to make this,so you really can not see the flakiness of chapathi.
- For a Vegan version avoid adding ghee and curds while making chapati dough.Instead use 2 tbsp oil in the dough.
On another note,I am here to announce my first ever event in my blog called "Cooking with Family Series" and I am sorry to say to my blogger friends that this event is limited only to my family members.But the happy part for my blogger friends is you will get to know lots of new amazing and wonderful recipes as I can assure you that all my family members(I mean all Ladies and few guys) have excellent cooking skills and always amaze me with their amazing cooking.I am planning to publish my event in a couple of series seeing the response from my family members for the first series.As Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and also our community has lots of variety in breakfast,I am choosing my first series to start with Breakfast.So I can call my event as 'Cooking With Family-BREAKFAST SERIES'.This is the logo I have designed for this just for fun.
I have been planning to start some event in my blog from a long while,but the laziness in me some how stopped me from doing it.Last week suddenly this idea clicked in my mind to start an event with the cooking style of our family and even discussed it with my S-I-L immediately.She also suggested me to go ahead with my event and also promised me to send her entries soon.
To tell you ppl about my family,one common thing among all my family members is our love and passion for food.Any discussion in between two family members will always have a common discussion for food,either it to be a new eating joint they have visited or a new recipe they tried in their house.All my aunts and cousins are amazing cooks and always hunt for new variety of recipes and give their own twist to the traditional cooking.Even though we all are from the same family,still there is a lot of difference in our cooking from one family to another,this is my attempt to share our recipes with all.I have lots of childhood memories associated with food when we used to go for holidays to my grand parents place.Every meal of the day used to be so special and is loaded with all our favorites and I still remember how we cousins used to sit together and relish the food and those days cannot be recalled back.We,cousins,a gang of almost ten had lots of fun playing,eating,roaming out together and also some times fighting with each other(which does not last more than ten minutes of course) in our holidays and we always looked forward for our next holiday meet.One thing we used to definitely do in holidays is to explore eating joints in Bangalore and in our native and we really had a blast during our child hood and still if we meet now we always try going to those places which we used to go earlier and relish food to bring back those memories.I am sure every one would be having these kind of child hood memories.
Coming to the event,there are no hard rules for this event as the entries are from my family members and I take the whole responsibility of publishing them in my blog.Still I want to just brief my family members about the general rules for the event.
- Choose a different and unique kind of recipe which is your favorite and make sure that I have not blogged about it before as I do not want my viewers to get to see the same recipe featured again.As the theme I have chosen this time is BREAKFAST,please make some different breakfast item and send it to me.
- A neatly written precise recipe.
- A neat photograph of the dish.
- Your description regarding the recipe,how ever it is optional.
- Send the recipe and pictures of the recipe to my email ID.As you all know it,I am not mentioning it here.
- There is no dead line for the submission of recipe as I am planning to post it every fortnight or a month.So this is truly first come-first serve basis,but please send the entries soon.
I am sure that my family members will not let me down and will also definitely amaze you people with their wonderful cooking skills and amazing recipes.So stay tuned to see this series in my blog very soon.