1 cup regular Rice like sona masuri(I used jeeraga samba,you can even use basmati)
1/2 cup chana dal
2 big onions,sliced or roughly diced
14-15 garlic pods,keep the skin on
4-5 green chillies,slit
a sprig of curry leaves
juice of 1/2 lemon
a pinch of turmeric(optional)
1 tbsp chana dal,for tadka
2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp oil or 1tbsp oil and 1 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
- Soak rice and chana dal for half an hour.If you are using sona masuri or similar rice soak for half an hour,if you are using basmati or jeeraga samba soak it for 10-12 mins.If you are hurry and did not soak chana dal,boil chana dal in hot water until it is soft but still firm.
- Separate the garlic pods from the whole garlic but do retain the thin layer of garlic pods.In that way it does not become mushy after it is cooked as this is the main ingredient which gives so much of flavor to rice.
- In a pressure cooker or thick bottomed kadai heat oil/ghee and crackle the mustard seeds.
- Add chana dal(for tadka) and urad dal and fry until brown.Add a sprig of washed curry leaves and add slitted ans sliced green chillies and fry well.
- Add sliced/diced onions,turmeric and garlic pods and fry until the onions turn translucent.
- Add soaked and drained chana dal and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water if you are using sona masuri,otherwise use 1 and 3/4 th cups of water if using basmati or jeeraga samba and let it come to a boil.
- Once the water starts boiling add soaked and drained rice and salt and lemon juice and stir well and close the lid and pressure cook for 1 whistle and simmer the flame for 6-8 mins.If you are using thick bottomed kadai,close the lid and let it cook until the water is evaporated.
- For a Vegan version use only oil in the recipe.