I hope every one had a fantastic start to the new year.What better way to start the new year other than indulging sweets for the wonderful start.
Basundi used to be very frequent at our place when we were young as we were fond of very few sweets and basundi was one among them.Basundi is prepared by reducing the milk and sweetened and topped with loads of nuts which makes the basundi tasty in each and every bite.Even though the process is bit time consuming,it is very easy to make and the end product is all worth the effort we put in making it.I got introduced to so many different flavors of basundi in Mumbai,the addition of fruits makes it even more interesting.Try out the few variations to the regular basundi and enjoy the new flavor.
1 litre Full Cream milk
1/2 cup sugar(approx)
1/4 tsp Elaichi powder
a few saffron strands,soaked in warm milk(1 tsp)
2 tbsp slivered almonds
1 tbsp slivered pistachios
1 tbsp charoli/chironji seeds
- Bring milk to a boil,simmer it and boil until the milk thickens and reduces to half and it coats the back of the spoon.After reducing the flame,try to stir the milk regularly until you get a thick creamy milk.My mom used to drop a small ceramic mold specially meant for this purpose into the reduced milk,it helps the milk not to spill over.
- Add sugar and boil until it melts completely.Add the saffron strands milk and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and let the milk cools down completely.
- Slightly roast the slivered almonds,pistachios and charoli seeds and add this to the reduced milk mixture and keep it refrigerated.
- You can make it still richer by replacing sugar with condensed milk.The addition of condensed milk also adds a distinct flavor to it.
- One can be innovative and can make basundi more interesting by adding fruits like oranges,custard apple,mango and apple to it.Each fruit adds a distinguish flavor to basundi and the custard apple basundi tastes the best.
- In order to make custard apple basundi,remove the seeds from the pulp and mix it with basundi and serve it cold.
- To make Apple Basundi,peel the skin of apple and grate it and mix with cold basundi and serve it cold.
- To make Mango basundi,mix in the chunky mango pulp with basundi and serve it cold.
- You can even experiment with strawberry.Add strawberry crush with the chopped fresh strawberries to basundi and serve it cold.
1 cup Basundi(prepared using the above process)
1 sweet orange
1 tbsp sugar
- Prepare Basundi using the above procedure and keep it refrigerated.
- Remove the pith and seeds of the orange and cut into small segments.Add sugar to it and mix well and keep this in the refrigerator until its usage.
- While serving it,mix the basundi mixture well with the chopped orange segments and serve immediately.
I am eagerly waiting for all your lovely entries for my first event " Only Salad's".So friends,please send your entries in order to make my event successful.