1 cup Cous Cous
1 1/2 cup hot water approx
1 medium onion,cut into small cubes(you can even add spring onions)
1 medium capsicum,seeded and cut into small cubes(you can add any kind of peppers)
1 big tomato,seeded and cut into small cubes
1/4 cup small cubed cucumber
1/4 cup chopped coriander and some mint
8-10 seedless black/green olives
3-4 pickled gherkins/jalapenos,chopped
2 green chilies,very finely chopped
a handful of roughly chopped walnuts/pine nuts
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil(EVOO)
salt to taste
2 tbsp extra virgin Olive oil(EVOO)
2 tsp lemon juice
2 garlic pods,grated
salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a large bowl mix cous cous and pour hot boiling water and salt over it and mix well and cover it with a lid and keep it aside for 12-15 mins.Or Cook cous cous according to the package directions.
- Now pour a tbsp of EVOO(olive oil) and fluff it up with a fork gently.
- Now mix in all the diced vegetables(tomatoes,onions,cucumber,olives,capsicum), chopped green chillies,coriander and mint,walnuts and mix well with a wooden spatula.
- Take a small bowl and mix olive oil,lemon juice,grated garlic,salt and pepper using a balloon whisk until everything is well mixed.
- Pour the dressing over the cous cous mixture and mix well.
- Refrigerate it for half an hour to one hour to allow the flavors to blend in the cous cous.
Notes and variations to the salad:
- Various vegetables like Sauteed spinach or fresh baby spinach,blanched broccoli,colored bell peppers,grilled zucchini,boiled corn,spring onions and chopped basil can also be added according to your taste.
- You can even add diced feta cheese or paneer to the salad.
- You can even add boiled and salted garbanzo beans / Rajma / Lobia beans to the salad if you like.
- Dry fruits like raisins,cranberries,chopped almonds can also be added.Roasted and coarsely ground peanuts can be added for different taste.
- For dressing you can add a tsp of balsamic vinegar or regular white vinegar for different flavor.