And coming to the recipe,this is a very simple,healthy and filling one pot dish which I do frequently at my place.My husband does not eat broken wheat as he is allergic to it,so I try to include this mostly for my lunch when he is not around.This is very simple and can be made in jiffy if the frozen vegetables are used and not much of chopping required.
1 cup broken wheat ( Dalia)
1/2 cup shelled green peas
2 carrots,cut into tiny cubes
7-8 french beans,finely chopped
1 big onion,chopped
1 big tomato,chopped
2 green chillies,sliced
a sprig of curry leaves
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp sambar powder(optional)
2 tsp butter
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
salt to taste
- Soak broken wheat in water for half an hour and drain the excess water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and crackle cumin seeds.
- Add sliced green chillies and curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and fry until it is translucent.Add all the vegetables (carrots,peas and beans) and chopped tomato and saute for a minute.
- Add dalia and 3 cups of water and let it come to a boil and add salt to taste.
- Place the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Open the pressure cooker lid after the pressure drops down,stir in butter,sambar powder and chopped coriander and cook for 2-3 mins.
- For a Vegan Version avoid butter in the recipe.