1 sour Raw mango,peeled and chopped into small thin slices
1/2 cup Toor dal
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chili powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp jeera
a pinch of hing
5-6 garlic pods,slightly crushed
2 red chillies
8-10 curry leaves
1 tsp ghee/oil
- Pressure cook toor dal mixed with turmeric and mango slices in different containers until the dal and mango pieces are soft.
- Add the cooked mango pieces to the dal and mash it properly.Add some water to the mixture and let the mixture come to a boil on stove.
- Add red chilli powder and salt to it and mix well.
- Mean while in a small tadka pan heat ghee/oil and crackle mustard and jeera and then add smashed garlic pods,hing and fry until they are light brown in color.Add broken red chillies and curry leaves and give a stir.
- Add the tadka to the dal and mix well and cover the pan wid the lid.
- Always cook dal and mango pieces separately,otherwise dal will not be cooked properly.
- Add lots of garlic to the tadka,it will give very nice flavor to the dal.
- If you dont have fresh mangoes,you can even add dried mango pieces to prepare this dal.
- For a Vegan version use only oil instead of ghee in tempering.