Its been a long time I posted any recipe,Though I was on a blogging break for sometime it did not restrict me to do little blog hopping to some of my favorite blogs and enjoying reading their recipes.I should say Blogging is a kind of addiction for me.I still need sometime to drop in comments at your spaces,so gals please bear with me till then.
And coming to today's recipe,Mixed vegetable kurma is a multi purpose curry which goes well either with poori, chapathy, parotta or any pulao variety.This vegetable kurma tastes best when the vegetables are crunchy and not over cooked and is well balanced with mild flavors from spices and fresh coconut.I made low calorie flaky whole wheat parotta's to enjoy with this kurma which is even ideal for lunch box.
1 Carrot,peeled and cubed
1 large Potato,peeled and cubed
10-12 French beans,cut into 1/2" pieces
8-10 small cauliflower florets
1 small capsicum,seeded and cubed
1/4 cup fresh/frozen peas
2 tsp fresh/frozen corn(optional)
1 big Onion,sliced
2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1 tbsp tamarind pulp
1 tsp jaggery(optional)
a sprig of curry leaves
1 tsp jeera
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1 black cardamom
1 tsp jeera
2 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp black pepper
3-4 red chillies
1/3 cup grated fresh coconut
2 tsp khus khus
- Dry roast the masala's given under 'To roast' section until the aroma starts and cool it.
- Grind the roasted masala ingredients along with grated fresh coconut and khus khus to a very fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and crackle cumin seeds.Add curry leaves,ginger-garlic paste and fry well.
- Add sliced onions and fry until translucent and add chopped tomato and fry until it becomes mushy.
- Add all the chopped vegetables and peas and fry well until they are well coated with oil and become tender.
- Add the ground masala paste and fry well until the raw smell disappears and the oil leaves from the edges.
- Add salt to the mixture and 1 and 1/2 cups of water and close it with a lid and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- After it cools open the lid add tamarind pulp and jaggery and let it boil for some time.
- Add chopped coriander to it at the end and mix well.
Variation:Avoid tamarind pulp and jaggery adding at the end to the gravy,instead add 1/2 cup of beaten curd to it at the end and boil it for few minutes.This definitely gives a different flavor to the curry.
I am sending this Parotta - Mixed vegetable curry combo to Pari's 'The Combo' event.