4-5 Bitter gourds
1 medium onion,finely chopped
1 tbsp Sesame seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup thin tamarind pulp
1 tbsp grated jaggery
1 tsp red chilli powder/sambar powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp oil
Salt to taste
- Wash and wipe bitter gourds,cut it into half lengthwise and remove the seeds and slice into thin half moon pieces.Add some salt and turmeric powder to it and mix well,leave it aside for half an hour and squeeze the water from it and keep aside.
- Mix tamarind pulp with salt,turmeric and enough water and let it boil and add the bitter gourd pieces and cook until soft.Drain the pieces and let them cool.This process helps in removing the bitterness of bitter gourd.
- Dry roast sesame seeds until they bulges up,cool them and grind it to a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds,curry leaves and then onion and fry till transparent.
- Add dhania powder,chilli powder to it and fry for a minute.
- Add bitter gourd pieces to it and fry on high flame until it changes its color.Add salt,jaggery and fry again for a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle sesame powder and mix well and remove from the stove.