This is a very famous breakfast item in Rayalaseema region and is called 'Uggani' where as it is known by 'Mandakki Oggarane' in Karnataka.This is one of those easy breezy breakfast items which can be prepared hardly under 15 minutes ans is perfect for those lazy mornings.As this is made up of puffed rice,its very light and can be eaten for breakfast or even as an evening snack. It is mainly served with Mirchi bajji as a combination and as mainly do this for breakfast I feel mirch bajji would be quite heavy for morning breakfast and hence never made it together.But it is a nice combination for evening tiffin,if you want to try go ahead and make in the evening.
8-10 cups Murmur/Puffed rice
2 medium Onions,sliced thin
5 Green chillies slit and cut
1 tbsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Jeera(optional)
8-10 Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tbsp Fried gram(putnala pappu)
1 tbsp Coriander leaves,chopped
1 tsp Lemon juice
Salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp Oil
- Soak puffed rice in plenty of water and let it soak for 2 to 3 mins.Take out a fistful of soaked puffed rice carefully and then squeeze out water completely and keep it aside and repeat the process.
- Grind the fried gram to a fine powder.
- In a big kadai,heat oil,add mustard seeds.Once it starts crackling,add chana dal,urad dal,jeera and fry for a minute.
- Add curry leaves,green chillies and fry and add sliced onions and saute till its pink,add turmeric and salt and turn off the flame.
- Add the murmur mixture and ground fried gram powder to it and mix it completely.Add coriander leaves and lemon juice and give a quick stir.