I am a big fan of tangy Pulihora recipes and no wonder I have posted many pulihora varieties so far.Today I am posting a pulihora recipe with fresh raw tamarind. The preparation process of Chintakaya Pulihora(Raw tamarind pulihora) is same as the regular Chintapandu Pulihora(Tamarind Pulihora), just that the process of extracting pulp from the raw tamarind is bit time consuming. Though there is not much of difference in taste I find the fresh taste in Raw tamarind pulihora.When you find raw tamarind next time do try this pulihora, it's simple and tasty.
Check out other Pulihora recipes in my blog:
- Aava Pettina Pulihora
- Cranberry Rice | Cranberry Puliyohora
- Chintapandu Pulihora - Andhra style
- Dabbakaya(Indian Grape fruit/Herelikayi) Pulihora
- Gongura Pulihora
- Lemon Rice | Chitranna | Nimmakaya Pulihora
- Maamidikaya Pulihora
- Puliyogre - Karnataka style
- Sabsige Soppu(Dill leaves) Chitranna
- Usirikaya Pulihora | Gooseberry(Amla) Rice
Chintakaya Pulihora | Raw Tamarind Rice Recipe:
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Total time: 45 mins
Cuisine : Andhra | Category: Rice
1 cup Sona masura rice(or equivalent)
8-10 Fresh Raw Tamarind (approx 3" size)
3-4 tbsp Groundnuts
2 tsp grated Jaggery(optional)
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Chana dal
1 tbsp Urad dal
3-4 dry Red chillies
5-6 light colored(less spice) Green chillies,slit
1 tsp Turmeric powder
a pinch of Asafoetida
a sprig of Curry leaves
2-3 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Wash the rice and add 2 cups of water and soak it for 15-20 mins.Pressure cook the rice or cook it in electric rice cooker or how ever you usually do.
- Once the rice is done,cool it completely by spreading it over wide plate.
- Boil fresh tamarind in 1 cup of water for 15-20 mins or pressure for 3 whistles.After it is cooled down remove the pulp and add grated jaggery and mix well until it is melted completely.
- In a kadai heat oil and crackle the mustard seeds,add groundnuts and fry until they turn slight red.Add chana dal, urad dal, red chillies, green chillies and fry for a couple of minutes until done.
- Add curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder and fry for a minute and then add tamarind pulp mixture,turmeric powder and mix until the mixture thickens completely and the oil starts separating out ,it takes at least 5-6 mins.Add enough salt to it and mix.
- Now remove it from the stove and let it cool a bit and reserve some mixture and pour the remaining mixture over the cooled rice and mix properly until everything is well blended.Now check the taste of it and add more tamarind mixture or salt according to your taste.It should taste spicy ,sweet and sour when you taste it as the sourness will reduce and blend well along with the time it sits.
- Let it sit for 2-3 hrs before serving.
Serve it at room temperature.
- Use rice varieties like sona masuri,ponni,jeeraga samba for these kind of rice varieties,I do not suggest basmati rice.
- Always make it bit tangy so that it will taste nice once it settles down.
- Substitute raw tamarind with tamarind paste and follow the same to prepare pulihora.