stir fry or curry with this vegetable and not experimented other variations with this vegetable. I like this vegetable very much as it has slight crunch even after it has been cooked.If you want to check out Kantola Stir fry(Akakarakaya Vepudu) recipe check out here.
Serves 2 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time:10 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Total time: 40 mins
Cuisine: Andhra | Category: Side dish-Lunch
250 gms Akakarakaya/Kantola
2 tbsp Sesame seeds powder
1 tsp Red chili powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
a sprig of Curry leaves
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Oil
- Wash and cut the kantola into four quarters and cut into thin slices.
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds.Add chana dal and urad dal and fry until it turns red in color.
- Add curry leaves and chopped onions and fry until it turns translucent.Now add the chopped kantola pieces and fry for 5-6 mins.Add turmeric powder to it and cover it and cook for 12-15 mins until it is done.
- Add red chili powder, sesame seed powder and salt and mix well and cover it and cook for 3-4 mins and switch off the flame.
Serve it with Rice/Roti.
- You can replace kantola with bitter gourd,bottle gourd or ridge gourd and follow the same process.In case if you are using bitter gourd,add salt and turmeric powder to the bitter gourd pieces and leave them aside for 15-20 mins and squeeze to remove extra water and follow the same process,this way it removes the bitterness of bitter gourd.
- Instead of sesame seed powder you can even use telagapindi in the recipe.