My love for dosa never stops and I have already posted many dosa recipes in my blog.The options for Uthappam toppings are endless, one can use simply chopped vegetables to potato sabzi to top the uthappams.I have posted Chettinadu style Cauliflower Masala Dosa sometime back and I used similar masala to prepare this Cauliflower Uthappam,which imparts a nice flavor to uthappam.
Check out other must try Dosa recipes in my blog.
- Davanagere Benne Dosa
- Atukula Dosa/Sponge Dosa
- Erra Kaaram Dosa...from Rayalaseema
- MLA Pesarattu / Upma Pesarattu
- Paper Thin Rava Dosa..Hotel Style
- Mysore Masala Dosa
- Pav Bhaji Dosa
- Vegetable Dosa
- Mumbai style Mysore Masala Dosa
- Five Taste Uthappam
- Schezwan Dosa
Cauliflower Uthappam Recipe:
Prep time:15 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Total time : 45 mins
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Breakfast
for Uthappam Batter:
2 cups Raw rice(sona masuri or similar)
2 cups Idli Rice or Par boiled rice
1 cup whole white Urad dal
1/4 cup Toor dal
1/4 cup Chana dal
1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
a pinch of cooking soda
a pinch of cooking soda
Salt to taste
Oil/Ghee, to roast utappams
for Cauliflower Masala:
2 cups Cauliflower florets
1 big Onion,finely chopped
1 big Tomato,chopped
5-6 Garlic pods,peeled
1/2" Ginger,finely chopped
1 Green chilli,finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
1/2 tsp Rasam powder
1/2 tsp Sambar powder
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
a sprig of Curry leaves
2 Red chillies,broken
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
Salt to taste
2 tbsp fresh grated Coconut
2 tsp Poppy seeds,soaked in water
1/2 tsp Saunf
5-6 Pepper corns
to make dosa batter:
- Wash and soak raw rice,idli rice(or par boiled rice), urad dal, toor dal, chana dal, fenugreek seeds together in water for 4-5 hrs.
- Grind all the ingredients in the wet grinder to a fine batter by adding water at regular intervals.The batter should be like regular dosa batter consistency.
- Add required amount of salt at the end of grinding and mix well.
- Allow the batter to ferment for 12-14 hrs.
to make Cauliflower masala:
- Clean and wash the cauliflower florets and soak them in salted hot water for 10-15 mins.Drain them and chop them finely.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan and crackle mustard seeds and add broken red chillies and curry leaves fry until they wilt.
- Add garlic pods,chopped ginger and green chili and fry for a minute.Now add finely chopped onions and fry until they become translucent.
- Add chopped cauliflower florets and fry well for 2-3 mins and add chopped tomatoes to it and fry for 3-4 mins.Cover it and cook until the tomatoes turns mushy and cauliflower is cooked.
- Grind grated coconut with poppy seeds,pepper corns and saunf to a fine paste.Add little water if required for grinding.
- Add rasam powder,sambar powder,red chili powder,turmeric powder and salt to the cauliflower mixture and mash it nicely with a masher.It is your choice to keep the texture how ever you want.I mashed it completely like a spread,if you want you keep it chunky too.
- Add the ground coconut mixture to it and let it cook for 3-4 mins until the raw smell disappears.You should keep the consistency of this very thick as we will apply this inside the dosa.
- Switch it off and let it come to room temperature.Add chopped coriander leaves to it and mix and keep it ready.
- The dosa batter should be at room temperature.Mix in a pinch of cooking soda and mix well.
- Pour the batter(do not spread) of 6-7 inch size on a hot tawa and pour oil/ghee from the sides and cover with a lid and cook it on medium flame for a minute and remove the lid.
- Apply 3-4 tbsp of cauliflower mixture all over the dosa(leaving an inch from sides) using the flat ladle and pour a tsp of oil/ghee over the mixture.
- Increase the flame to high and cook until you can see the golden brown crust formation.
- Now turn the dosa to the other side and fry for a minute.
Check out my Five taste Uthappam post for more topping ideas.