A few years back,when I was not into blogging, I used to spend several hours on the net checking various recipes and bumped into Aayis Recipes which I used to check regularly.I have already posted the Dates cake recipe, which I tried from her blog and made it several times and I came across the biscuit pudding for the first time in her blog and from then it has become regular dessert at my place but I tweaked the recipe over a period of time with my own touches to suit my requirements.I had also loosely adapted the measurements from Divya's space.
One can say that this chocolate pudding is simpler version of Italian Tiramisu though it is not as rich as it but it is very quick to make with easily available basic ingredients.This dessert has a nice texture and also a range of flavors.The layers of biscuit soaked in the silky textured rich custard makes it taste delicious with various textures,slight crunch from biscuits and soft and smooth feel due to the chocolate topping.It is really a simple yet delicious dessert and is definitely kid friendly recipe.It took me hardly 20 mins to make this dessert and the only thing is,it needs enough resting time so that it can be set nicely which makes it easy to cut it into individual portions.
I had planned to post this dessert for Ramzan to wish my dear friend Lubna(of YUMMY FOOD) and also my readers.Lubna is a very dear friend of mine with whom I discuss various things apart from blog related stuff.She is even my mentor and also guides me in many aspects related to blogging.Lubna dear-I wish you a very happy Ramzan through this post.This dessert also goes to her on going event 'Joy from Fasting to Feasting'.Now off to this simple dessert recipe.MARIE BISCUIT CHOCOLATE PUDDING RECIPE:
loosely adapted from: Aayis Recipes and Easy Cooking
1 pack Marie Biscuits(around 20 biscuits)
400ml whole cream Milk
1/2 cup Cream(I used Amul 24% cream)
1/3 cup + 1tbsp Sugar
3 tbsp Vanilla Custard powder
2 tbsp Cocoa powder
1 tbsp Drinking chocolate
1tsp Instant Coffee powder
1/4 cup Hot water
for decoration and filling:
1/3 cup Cashew nuts,roughly chopped
1/4 cup Chocolate chips
Chocolate,grated or curls
Silver balls sprinkles
- In 1/4 cup milk mix cocoa powder,custard powder and drinking chocolate until no lumps are formed.Use a hand whisker to do this which makes this job easier.
- Boil the remaining milk,once it comes to a boil add sugar and cream and mix it well.
- Add cocoa custard mixture and mix it vigorously using the whisker.Boil until the mixture becomes thick which takes approximately 4-5 mins.The right consistency for a good custard is it should coat the backside of the spoon and if you draw a line the line should stay with out getting mixed up.Check the sweetness of custard at this point,if needed add a couple of tsps more and mix nicely,with the heat it will melt nicely.
- Meanwhile heat 1/4 cup of water either in microwave or on stove top.Add coffee powder and mix it nicely.Pour this into a small flat shallow plate.
- Take a serving dish and pour a ladle full of custard and spread it to get a thin layer of pudding in the bottom of the serving dish.
- Dip each marie biscuit in the coffee decoction for 2 seconds and arrange them to form a layer of biscuits.Repeat with half the biscuits.You can roughly make them into pieces to fill the gaps in between.
- Sprinkle half of chopped cashew nuts,choco chips over it.
- Add half of the prepared custard while it is still hot on them evenly.
- Repeat the process of dipping of remaining biscuits and arranging them on the custard and pour the remaining custard over it.
- Gently tap the dish so that custard will settle in the edges.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped cashew nuts,choco chips over it and decorate with grated chocolate and silver ball sprinkles.
- Let the pudding comes to room temperature.Cover it with cling and keep it refrigerated for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- You can replace drinking chocolate with the same quantity of cocoa powder.
- If you want make it less fat,avoid cream in the recipe and add the equal quantity of milk and follow the recipe.
- Almonds and walnuts can also be used along with the cashew nuts in the recipe.
- You can substitute custard powder with the same quantity of corn flour and 1 tsp vanilla essence in the recipe.
This sweet chocolaty slice is for you all.ENJOY!!