I rarely get pumpkin at home as hubby dear is not very fond of it and the only thing he prefers is sambar with kaddu. I hence try to make various varieties with pumpkin, only when I have to cook for myself. This one I tried from Vidhu Mittal's book 'Pure and Simple'.The recipe was quite easy to make and has simple flavors.The addition of jaggery brings out the natural sweetness of pumpkin and makes it more tastier.If you like pumpkin you can try out this curry for a variation with rotis.Meeti Kaddu ki Sabzi | Sweet Pumpkin Curry Recipe:
Recipe Source: Pure and Simple
250 gms Sweet Pumpkin
2 tsp finely chopped Ginger
1 tsp finely chopped green Chillies
1 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
1/4 tsp Methi seeds
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
1/2 tsp Amchur powder
1 tbsp grated Jaggery
a pinch of Hing
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Oil
- Wash the pumpkin well and remove the skin of pumpkin and cut pumpkin into thin pieces.
- Slice the peels into very thin.I used just 2 tbsp of peels in the recipe as I was skeptical about its taste in the curry.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add hing and methi seeds and let them brown.
- Add finely chopped ginger and green chillies and fry well.
- Add turmeric powder and red chili powder and fry well.
- Now add the sliced peels and also the chopped pumpkin and fry for 2 mins.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to it and cover it and cook well for 4-5 minutes until pumpkin is cooked soft.
- Add grated jaggery and cook well again for 2 mins.The gravy would have thickened by now.
- Add chopped coriander at the end.
Serve it hot with roti/naan/rice.