1 medium green Capsicum,seeded and cut into 1" cubes
1 medium tomato,seeded and cut into 1" cubes
1 medium cucumber,cut into 1" cubes
1 medium onion,cut into 1" cubes
3 bread slices,cut into 1" cubes
1 small head of iceberg lettuce
5-6 black olives,whole or thinly sliced
5-6 green olives,stoned and sliced
1-2 sprigs fresh parsley
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp vinegar
3 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Vinegar
1 tbsp Lemon juice
salt to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper crushed
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp dried mint or fresh mint
- Heat olive oil in a wide pan and add bread cubes and saute over medium heat to make golden croutons.
- Prepare dressing by mixing everything mentioned under the ingredients for dressing and keep it aside.
- Soak chopped onions in 1 tsp vinegar for 1/2 hr.
- Tear the iceberg lettuce roughly and place in a large bowl.Add all the vegetables,green and black olives.
- Squeeze the onions soaked in vinegar and add to the bowl of vegetables.
- Tear the parsley roughly and add to the bowl,toss well and mix.
- Just before serving pour the dressing all over,add fried bread croutons and toss again.
Variations to Fattoush:
- You can even add red and yellow bell peppers along with green capsicum to the above salad.
- You can replace fried bread croutons with roughly torn and fried pita bread to the salad.
- If you do not have parsley,you can replace parsley by coriander which adds its own unique flavor to the salad.
- As I mentioned the original fattoush uses sumac as a spice,but if you do not have that for different flavors you can even add 1/2 tsp grated garlic or 1 tsp dijon mustard to the dressing which converts the salad very very flavorful.